How important is it to break into an IB school?

Heliotrope

Re: How important is it to break into an IB school?

Post by Heliotrope »

Shall we discuss the list on the paid forum, where we can actually name schools?
I've already made a topic there, and it has some interesting comments.
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

@Heliotrope

Its an amazingly strong counter, when it was right the first time and the second time, and were I to do so it would be right a third time.

@MartElla

@Heliotrope is basing their list off of reports discussed from this forum.

@monkeycat

IB is very valuable, a very high proportion of 2nd tier ISs are IB ISs (as @Heliotrope actually presented, are second tier ISs), and generally spending time in the second tier is better than the third tier, and improves your marketability. However dont sacrifice poor quality experience for IB, to years can be a long time, and if your goal is the first tier ISs, good practice at SLL is highly congruent regardless of the curriculum. If you can teach X subject at one of AP or A* or DIP you can teach it well at all the others, the differences are nearly trivial. The scenario to be weary of is your comparing a floater (top third tier) IS thats AP or something with a sinker (bottom third tier) IB IS, your utility is stronger with the upper non-IB IS. All other factors being equal (which it never is) IB has greater utility for an ITs career, it improves your waiting experience in the second tier, and thus gives a shorter transition pathway to tier 1, its just a minor player once you get to the first/elite tier.
Heliotrope

Re: How important is it to break into an IB school?

Post by Heliotrope »

I'd rather base my list of top tier schools on the wisdom of the crowd, than on one person's opinion.
And when you utilise the collective experiences and opinions of the members of this forum, the list you get will be quite close to the list I presented (in my haste I must have forgotten a few), with 90% of those schools having IB-DP as the main diploma route for 90+% of their students.
I know, the 'M' in 'Masses' is sometimes silent, but in this case, I think most of the schools that multiple people have mentioned as being top tier are deserving of a spot on that list. And even if you lose a few schools, you will lose non-IB schools along with IB schools, plus the '61 out of 66'-score is high enough to withstand some changes before it will support your opinion.

So again: yes, if you are going to teach diploma classes, IBDP experience on your CV will help you get into these top tier schools, as most of them teach IBDP.

If you want to discuss further, come to the member forum, where I've posted the list, and you can name names, and post your own list. Always curious to hear about new schools that are top tier.