a couple questions about limited experience...

livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="heyteach"]CAQ is a very well-organized school and has been around a long time. It is a full IB school. They take very good care of their ex-pat staff. Quito is reasonably safe; pickpockets and bag slashers are a problem but the school will teach you how to stay safe.[/quote]

CAQ replied to my employment inquiry for a PreK teaching position, but unfortunately they do not hire foreigners for their preschool. Oh well, at least they responded back.

I have a teaching permit to teach early childhood only.
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="heyteach"]CAQ is a very well-organized school and has been around a long time. It is a full IB school. They take very good care of their ex-pat staff. Quito is reasonably safe; pickpockets and bag slashers are a problem but the school will teach you how to stay safe.[/quote]

CAQ replied to my employment inquiry for a PreK teaching position, but unfortunately they do not hire foreigners for their preschool. Oh well, at least they responded back.

I have a teaching permit to teach early childhood only.
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="IAMBOG"]You could try the ESOL schools, mostly in the Middle East and Egypt.[/quote]

Actually I am very interested in the ESOL school in Cyprus...I am just waiting for a position in my area to open up.
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="sevarem"]livefree, you could try to aim for China, but some of the schools can't get work visas for teachers with less than two years experience. That being said, I'm certain some of the lower tier, Chinese run schools would hire you and find a way to get your visa. Try Beanstalk, Beijing Bilingual (formerly Kinstar), Guanzhou Country Garden School, and Changchun American.

Actually Changchun American might be your best bet. They're IB and, because no one wants to live in Changchun, they hire newbies. Give them an email.[/quote]

Thanks! I just sent in my application for an Early Years position at Changchun and Country Garden. Will keep you posted.
ann

Post by ann »

[quote="shadowjack"]Ann, if you don't contact them and ask, you will never know, will you?

Go for it - you have nothing to lose![/quote]

Thanks Shadowjack. As I am already certified teacher in my subject (French as a mother and foreign language) with 18 yrs teaching abroad, how can I get an IB teaching certification if I don't get a job in an IB school this next academic year ?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

@Ann - take IB training at a seminar or online
ann

Post by ann »

[quote="shadowjack"]@Ann - take IB training at a seminar or online[/quote]

Any suggestion for website or I just need to google ?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Hi Ann

Try these links

http://www.ibo.org/events/

http://onlineworkshops.ibo.org/

Hope that helps!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

OP, what are you certified in? did you go to any fair?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is that no amount of training equals any amount of experience. IB training workshops run about 700€ on average and they really dont make you more marketable.

There is an IB "teacher certification" sort of, they used to be called teacher awards (I have a level 2) but are now called "Certificate in Teaching and Learning" (level 1) and "Advance Certificate in teaching and Learning Research". Whether they count as a true teacher certification is up for debate, but they dont really help much as far as increasing your marketability. they are really for established IB educators, or those who would be pursuing a Masters degree in Education anyway. You can find them here:

http://www.ibo.org/programmes/pd/award/

there are only a small handful of foreign language positions each year, its a very small number. You really would be better off looking for a overseas french school (lycee) then an IS.
livefree

Post by livefree »

[quote="sevarem"]livefree, you could try to aim for China, but some of the schools can't get work visas for teachers with less than two years experience. That being said, I'm certain some of the lower tier, Chinese run schools would hire you and find a way to get your visa. Try Beanstalk, Beijing Bilingual (formerly Kinstar), Guanzhou Country Garden School, and Changchun American.

Actually Changchun American might be your best bet. They're IB and, because no one wants to live in Changchun, they hire newbies. Give them an email.[/quote]

Got a response back from Changchun. They want to do a skype interview. Where can I find out more about this school in terms of salary, health benefits, and housing?

Is it an okay place for a single female?
ann

Re: Reply

Post by ann »

there are only a small handful of foreign language positions each year, its a very small number. You really would be better off looking for a overseas french school (lycee) then an IS.[/quote]

Thanks Psyguy....

I am currently in overseas french school and want to move out for another experience.. French is part of IB so i keep my fingers crossed !
Fstop

Post by Fstop »

[quote="livefree"][quote="sevarem"]livefree, you could try to aim for China, but some of the schools can't get work visas for teachers with less than two years experience. That being said, I'm certain some of the lower tier, Chinese run schools would hire you and find a way to get your visa. Try Beanstalk, Beijing Bilingual (formerly Kinstar), Guanzhou Country Garden School, and Changchun American.

Got a response back from Changchun. They want to do a skype interview. Where can I find out more about this school in terms of salary, health benefits, and housing?

Is it an okay place for a single female?[/quote]

Read the ISR reviews. They are mostly correct. Health insurance is offered but it's fairly useless. Housing is okay - 2 bedroom apartments which are very new. However they do have some older ones too so make sure you ask to be placed in the newer accommodation. Very few single people work at the school (although there are a few). Most are married and that's how they survive. It's a tough place if you're single because the city is very grim and does not offer much to do. No one speaks English, there is a massive taxi shortage, and -35 winters. However the staff is great and the students are wonderful. If you can survive for 2 years you'll no doubt be able to jump to something better. Most people don't stay more than 2 years, and some less than that. 6 people have already left this year.