Portfolios at the Fair

Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Can I just confirm, when people are including "classroom and project work", in their portfolios we are talking about copies of students' work, yes?
junglegym

Post by junglegym »

It has become my understanding that a portfolio can be a great tool to complement what you are saying in an interview. For example, if you refer to an activity you did with a class, it might be good to have samples of student work so the interviewers can see the final products. This is hands-on and adds a visual to an otherwise boring aural interview.

However, having a collection of "stuff" for recruiters to flip through... personally I don't think that's going to help get you hired (not to mention it doesn't show your "forward-thinking" abilities, with all the wasted paper and lack of technology). I'm currently working on putting together some files on my iPad that I think might help support discussions in the interview. I have some student work, pictures to show what my classroom looks like, and I might take a couple videos of classes.

Keep in mind that I have 2 years experience and have only had a few interviews before this position, so I'm no expert in interviews or portfolios.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

[quote="Mr.Cake"]Can I just confirm, when people are including "classroom and project work", in their portfolios we are talking about copies of students' work, yes?[/quote]

Umm, yes?

I think it depends on your field. Art teacher, yes; calculus teacher, maybe not.

I actually only have one image of student work and one video of my students. I work in a US public school, so -- just to be on the safe side -- I had parents sign a release form in addition to the school form that allows me to use their kids' photos, without names.

Honestly, I feel uncomfortable posting students' actual, physical papers. I try to share pictures that demonstrate the learning process and my classroom culture, and address outcomes separately, if that makes sense. For me, the point is to give recruiters a really quick idea of my teaching style. Of course, I'm also a librarian, so a large part of my portfolio has a different focus.

PS - I could make a similar disclaimer to junglegym.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

Well that's my concern, using a student's work. I feel uncomfortable about doing it but no one seems to be talking about release forms/ownership etc.

I was just wondering what others do/feel about this.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Mr.Cake

By project work I mean noteworthy projects. When a recruiter goes to look at a portfolio, they want too see something special. Not just copies of student essays and worksheets. Pictures are nice but if they are just your class doing desk work, thats not impressive.

My digital portfolio in addition to a teaching demonstration includes video of the Egg Drop Competition, my students improv of Romeo and Juliet, and art school displayed art projects. These are public events/exhibitions so they dont breach student privacy issues.