100k baht up in Bangkok. Easy?

PsyGuy

Oh yeah

Post by PsyGuy »

Oh yeah, so not the place for me, though that kind of money is pretty attractive and a little compelling. I got an email a couple weeks ago was it, to interview with them at the BK fair this year.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

It didnt say specifically, I usually dont get interviewed for a particular position when I get an invite, since I have almost 30 teaching certifications usually schools are interested in me as a wild card sort of like "spackle" since I can fill just about any hole they have in a schedule. So usually I end up teaching a mix of MYP/DIP subjects in very specialized electives, where a school for instance will have 1 class each in say design technology, env. systems, statistics, psychology at the DIP level, and then the rest in say MYP general science, etc, and maybe an obscure language class.

It was a very general email, and read like a form email, as it wasnt specially addressed to me (the old "Dear Sir or Madam"). I havent responded yet and doubt I will.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Ichiro - I was looking at the ISB Salary and Benefit information. They write that "the initial new staff Salary Placement for 2011/2012 ranges from $52,090 to $70,750 based on education & experience. The salary schedule top step is $98,457."

Is this after tax, or is tax paid on this?

I ask, because this is way higher than a school like Jakarta Int School - which tops out at about $77,500 (and that's with a Doctorate) - and Singapore AS.

Also, does the 15% retirement start from year 1?

Even with tax, it is definitely a good deal you are on!
PsyGuy

Responses

Post by PsyGuy »

@Hallier
That's before taxes. You start retirement your first year.

@Daisy
Could be, its one of the areas they are recruiting for. It doesnt really matter though. We wouldnt be a good fit, Id work too much, and get tired, and resentful. They would think I was lazy an uninterested in contributing to the school community/family. I'd either end of quitting or getting fired before the end of my contract. The money with that cost of living is very attractive though, but i became a teacher for the time off. If i wanted to work 50 hours a week id have stayed in the corporate sector.

(This is where you reply with some personal attack.)
BobStrauss

Re: Responses

Post by BobStrauss »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@Hallier
That's before taxes. You start retirement your first year.

@Daisy
Could be, its one of the areas they are recruiting for. It doesnt really matter though. We wouldnt be a good fit, Id work too much, and get tired, and resentful. They would think I was lazy an uninterested in contributing to the school community/family. I'd either end of quitting or getting fired before the end of my contract. The money with that cost of living is very attractive though, but i became a teacher for the time off.[b] If i wanted to work 50 hours a week id have stayed in the corporate sector.[/b]

(This is where you reply with some personal attack.)[/quote]

Now this is something I can agree with.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
PsyGuy

Really

Post by PsyGuy »

@ichiro

Yes really, but dont worry about it, im not interested in taking a step backword. Its been weeks since I got the email, and im sure they moved down the stack.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Ichiro - you are such a sceptic;)

Do you know how JIS and TAS compare to ISB re. package?

I'm curious how ISB can pay so well, given their fees do not seem to be much higher than other similar schools.

Do they devote a greater % of their revenue to salaries (and therefore less to capital works etc)? Do they not pay tax?
PsyGuy

Cost's...

Post by PsyGuy »

Consumer Price Index basically. Costs in Thailand are very cheap, and inexpensive, especially for labor. They also consider their payroll costs a significant and valuable investment.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Daisy"][quote]Im not interested in taking a step backword[/quote] Head of English Department??[/quote]

Ironic, yes. I doubt your cryptic salvo will hit the mark though, as he has said before that he simply can't be arsed to properly compose and edit forum posts.

I do appreciate the wit and brevity.