Getting the most out of Search?

pinkstar

Getting the most out of Search?

Post by pinkstar »

Hello,

I recently joined Search associates, but having never used them before, I'm not sure I am getting the most out of it. Can anyone advise me? Since I was accepted I have heard nothing from my associate. I have seen some positions of interest come up. I am not sure how to apply? The Search website says you *can* contact schools by email but they might not reply as they have so many people contact them. How am I supposed to apply then? Do I have to go to each school wesbsite and fill out their own application form? This kind of defeats the purpose of joining Search then?
Thanks in advance for your help
heyteach

Re: Getting the most out of Search?

Post by heyteach »

I used Search this past year at the behest of a very satisfied colleague. When you find a position you're interested in, there is a place on their Search page for applying directly from Search. Some schools DO ask for their own app to be filled out, but unless it was a school I was very seriously interested I never bothered as all the info was already on Search.

You should be getting some greetings/welcome emails from your associate. This is probably a very busy time for them so it may take a week or so. My associate always responded very quickly whenever I had a question, and gave me some really good tips.
PsyGuy

Its about the database

Post by PsyGuy »

Search Associates recruiters dont do very very much to actually find you a job. Mainly what your paying for is access to the school database, and the fairs (of which your first one is free).

So after you've filled out your profile and been accepted. You login to the site and then select "Search for Openings in International Schools" from your home page. enter the criteria that you want to use (Jobs in the last 10 days, schools in a certain country, schools with vacancies in your field, etc). Click "Submit Search", you will get a list of schools. Place a check mark in the left hand column of the schools, then click "Find Application" and that schools page will come up. At the top of the screen is a drop down menu for each of the schools you selected.

If one of your 4 preferences on your profile matches a position vacancy you can click on "CLICK HERE IF YOU WISH TO SEND AN EMAIL TO THIS SCHOOL " this link will only work if one of your 4 preferences on your profile matches a vacancy they have. You can then copy and paste your intro/cover letter into the mail window.

If the position is not one of your 4 preferences, but your qualified for the position anyway you can copy and paste the schools email address (at the top of the page, under item 2) into your email, and send them an email with cover letter, resume, and any other attachments.

Associates with Search vary greatly, some people LOVE their recruiter, some (like mine) dont do anything and take weeks to return an email.
pinkstar

Post by pinkstar »

Thanks for the replies both of you. It seems like I am doing the right thing then. I have been using the search function and I am going to be going to a fair too. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something as I never hear from my recruiter and I was a bit unclear if/how I was supposed to contact schools.
Thanks for clearing it up for me.
I have seen a couple of positions I am interested in and the schools will be going to the fair, so I will contact them. Thanks for your help!
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

When you apply, do mention you are attending the relevant fair and would like an interview.

Sorry your rep is not so responsive. Mine, and that of my colleague, were outstanding.

My rep gave me this advice when deciding on which fair to attend: Choose the one that has the most [i]openings[/i] I'm interested in, not just the schools I'm interested in. I made myself a spreadsheet of all the schools I was interested in and added all the details of their packages from their Search pages, which openings they had, when I applied, and their responses if any. Few schools will respond so don't get discouraged. It really helped me keep track of it all.

When you send an email or cover letter, make sure you tailor it for the school/position/country, and keep copies of each on your computer.
pinkstar

Post by pinkstar »

Thank you HeyTeach for your reply and advice. It was very useful. I actually started a similar sounding spreadsheet last week, so I'm glad to hear that I am a) along the right track and b) not a crazy person for making spreadsheets! Thanks very much!