Apartments in HCMC, Vietnam

ajs9791

Apartments in HCMC, Vietnam

Post by ajs9791 »

I'm heading to HCMC in August. The campus of the school I will be working at is in the expat area in Thao Dien, District 2, next to many of the other international schools. I get a housing allowance, so I get to choose my own apartment.

My school has given me a list of websites to give me an idea of what's available and where. I'm wondering what area I should look in. I've been given some advice that Binh Thanh is a good compromise as it's halfway between the centre of Saigon and where the school is.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this from people living in HCMC already?
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Binh Thahn is cheaper and closer to districts 1 and 3 (where most of the bars, restaurants, museums, cultural events are).

Thao Dien is better for families and if you want more of an expat lifestyle while still retaining a bit of that Vietnamese feel.

The teachers that I know (from all of the schools in town) that live in each area are quite happy with their choices.

I will say that for the moment (it will change once more cars hit the road) Thao Dien is only about 15-20 minutes from District 1 and much quieter.

Binh Thahn is massive (perhaps the biggest district) and thus has many more options. You can go quite posh or quite basic.

My advice is to see flats in both areas of town.

Either way, with an open mind, you will love this place. We've been here for almost a year and have fallen in love with the Saigon. We live in Thao Dien.
huffster337

Living in HCMC

Post by huffster337 »

I am currently teaching in Ho Chi Minh City and live in the Binh Thanh Dist and there are many other teachers that live here and commute to Dist 2. Dist 2 has lots of expats but from what I have heard there are lots of break-ins in the Thao Dien area, even in compounds and places where people have security guards. Binh Thanh is right in the middle of Dist 2 and Dist 1 and cheaper than Dist 1. Three of the locations I would recommend looking at places at are Saigon Pearl, The Manor, and Cantavil.

That being said Dist 1 is right where everything is at but you pay a price for that. An Phu you can get a really nice flat for your money but it floods badly there too.

I am currently looking at moving to another place in the Binh Thanh Dist for August.
ajs9791

Post by ajs9791 »

Thanks to both of you for the advice.

I'll check out both areas once I arrive in July. I must admit though Binh Thanh is sounding more my style.

Thanks for the specific building names. I have seen places in all three of these advertised. I was also going to keep my options open and look at some houses too, not just apartments based on advice I have received.