American teachers working at British International Schools?

NicoleMarieSchreiber

Post by NicoleMarieSchreiber »

Can an American teacher work at a British International School?

I was just wondering about that. I have noticed it a little bit when researching schools in Europe.

Thank you.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Hello.

I'm sure it's possible. However, I have been told by my wife who was senior management at British International Schools before we met, AND a good mate of mine who worked at our rival school in Europe which ran the British National Curriculum, AND my neighbour here in Asia who is deputy head of the big British International School in town that none of their head teachers would consider hiring a teacher that was either from the USA or trained in the USA. So, there you go...

It's unfortunate since my wife is British and I am not...it somewhat limits our options. We are happy where we are, but it would be nice to be considered for you can actually offer a school. I have many years experience with the US AP program, the IB MYP and DP, and IGCSE and A levels, but it’s not enough in some places.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

There are British schools and then there are stuffy British schools. Some English National Curriculum schools will hire US teachers and some will only hire English teachers. The question you should be asking is "Do I really want to teach in an English National Curriculum School?"

To get an idea of what you'll be up against try finding the English National Curriculum on the web, without any input from someone who has worked in the system.

The term 'British' is something of a misnomer. Many English people are disdainful of the Welsh and Scots, and consider the Irish Republic part of the United Kingdom.

My experience with British families has included one, a Mine CEO and his delightful wife, who wanted to know how soon the school would fire the incoming American teacher if she wasn't up to standard.
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

Yes, I am doing it. I'm not sure I would again though.
NicoleMarieSchreiber

Post by NicoleMarieSchreiber »

Do you find the curriculum hard to get used to? The teaching styles massively different?

Thanks!
Rutabaga

Post by Rutabaga »

The curriculum is certainly different and can take some getting used to, although it depends somewhat on subject as well. I've found the different vocabulary to be a challenge, which is a surprise, considering that I teach match. However, this is something that can be overcome, particularly if one has helpful colleagues.

What I have found more difficult is that the school doesn't seem to be particularly internationally focused. It feels more like we're a British school that happens to be in another country rather than an international school. There seems to be an unwillingness to deal with people coming from other educational systems, particularly in the secondary school. The school also seems to keep itself very separate from other international schools.

Of course, these problems may be particular to my school, but on the whole, it hasn't made me want to teach at another British International School.
sangster2

Post by sangster2 »

[quote="Rutabaga"]The curriculum is certainly different and can take some getting used to, although it depends somewhat on subject as well. I've found the different vocabulary to be a challenge, which is a surprise, considering that I teach match. However, this is something that can be overcome, particularly if one has helpful colleagues.

What I have found more difficult is that the school doesn't seem to be particularly internationally focused. It feels more like we're a British school that happens to be in another country rather than an international school. There seems to be an unwillingness to deal with people coming from other educational systems, particularly in the secondary school. The school also seems to keep itself very separate from other international schools.

Of course, these problems may be particular to my school, but on the whole, it hasn't made me want to teach at another British International School.[/quote]

I am British and work in an American school. ( It is difficult to even get an interview with an American school if you aren't American.) I found my school did not even realise that I would find the system different and did not really help at first though I have asked for help since and gotten it. I feel like I am in an American school just in another country.

However, I like it. I think it would be much harder the other way round. The American system is not so prescribed as the Brtish (specifically the English) system. I have less preps which makes it a lot easier. I would definitely like to go to an American school again.

I have worked with Americans in British schools before and overall they seemed to find it okay.
sangster2

Re: American teachers working at British International Schoo

Post by sangster2 »

[quote="NicoleMarieSchreiber"]Do you find the curriculum hard to get used to? The teaching styles massively different?

Thanks![/quote]

I am a high school teacher and I have found what I am teaching in the American school is not much different to what I would teach in a British school. We use the California standards which for my subject is very close to the IGCSE syllabus.

Teaching styles are not much different, just down to the individual really.

There is more emphasis on effort and attitude grades in the US system while with the Bristish there is more emphasis on test grades as there are external exams which the children have to take.