International schools in South East Asia

msfoxy

International schools in South East Asia

Post by msfoxy »

I'm an African American female teacher from New York. I have a dual masters degree in childhood education and teaching students with disabilities. I've been teaching for four years and I received tenure this past summer. What are my chances of getting into an international school in South East Asia? My country of choice is Singapore. Does race play a role in being hired in Singapore? Should I sign up with search? I would really love to work at an international school in Singapore next school year.
JISAlum

Re: International schools in South East Asia

Post by JISAlum »

Having taught at SAS- in my opinion, race does not matter. Of course you could always interview with someone who is racists, but in working there, we had a relatively diverse teaching staff. While the student body wasn't as diverse as an urban US school, it had kids from all over. You may not get hired because of a lack of overseas experience, or you may get hired because of your Sped background. Either way I wouldn't think your race will factor in.

[quote="msfoxy"]I'm an African American female teacher from New York. I have a dual masters degree in childhood education and teaching students with disabilities. I've been teaching for four years and I received tenure this past summer. What are my chances of getting into an international school in South East Asia? My country of choice is Singapore. Does race play a role in being hired in Singapore? Should I sign up with search? I would really love to work at an international school in Singapore next school year.[/quote]
msfoxy

Post by msfoxy »

Thank you. It's refreshing to know that schools hire based on knowledge and experience.
sangster2

Re: International schools in South East Asia

Post by sangster2 »

deleted
Last edited by sangster2 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
msfoxy

Post by msfoxy »

Thank you for your comment. I've never been to Singapore but I know I few people have and they loved it. I'm very flexible with location. I just want to be comfortable wherever I'm working. I live and work in NY where it is very diverse and my race has never been an issue. It's sad that in 2010, qualifications and experiences aren't enough to get someone a job.