Search Associates question

westcoaster

Search Associates question

Post by westcoaster »

I'm almost finished my B.Ed program and have started my job search. I have signed up with both tieonline and joyjobs. But now I am wondering whether I should also sign up with Search Associates as well to improve my chances. The thing is I want to get an international school job in Korea but will consider other Asian countries. I also don't think I will be able to attend any fairs. Is it still worth it to join Search if I don't plan on going to Any of their fairs? Any advice would be much appreciated.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

It can't hurt, at least it will give you a fell for what salaries and packages are in each school.
Globetrotter1

the more the better

Post by Globetrotter1 »

I have signed up the Joyjobs, Search, AASSA and TIE because I think the more 'irons in the fire' the better. obviously it does cost money but last time I only used Joyjobs and Search so hoping for more results this time around.
martijem

Post by martijem »

Globetrotter1- Did you find a position using only Joyjobs and Search?
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

ichiro- Thanks for the reply. Yes, that's right. I will only have my practicum teaching experience but I do have two years of EFL experience. I will be a certified science teacher in my home province. Also, I already have a B.Sc.

I'm more like "early 30 something" with a family in tow which I am beginning to see as a deterrent by prospective employers.

I've sent out a bunch of letters of interest to various international schools in Korea. I plan to follow up these letters with more emails when I have completed my B.Ed. I know that I won't be able to get into a top tier school and am willing to work in lower tier school to get some experience.

If I can't find anything, I'll try to get a teaching job at home and get that valuable home country experience that a lot of good schools want.
markholmes

Post by markholmes »

A westcoaster who's living in a province? Just finishing up his B.Ed.? Sounds like an SFU person to me.

Have you tried Maple Leaf in China? They pay quite well and only hire Canadians, mostly newly qualified or recently retired.
http://www.mapleleafschools.com/mainpage_english.html
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

[quote="markholmes"]A westcoaster who's living in a province? Just finishing up his B.Ed.? Sounds like an SFU person to me.

Have you tried Maple Leaf in China? They pay quite well and only hire Canadians, mostly newly qualified or recently retired.
----://www.mapleleafschools.com/mainpage_english.html[/quote]

Hi Markholmes,

You've got the right province but the wrong uni. I'm attending a university on the big island.

I've been in touch with Maple Leaf Schools already so it is definitely a possibility. Thanks again for mentioning it.