Hong Kong and its pollution.

Spawnboy99

Hong Kong and its pollution.

Post by Spawnboy99 »

We currently living in SA and to be honest the haze hasn't been that bad. Wife sometimes has a little sinuse problem but not that bad. We have a young family so would like to know what the pollution is like in HK. How was this year, reports say that this year HK has 150 days of sunshine. Is the pollution really that bad?
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Its hard to bash HK when Beijing is so horrible, my experience is their different types of irritants, HKs is more automobile exhaust, and Beijings is more industrial. I find HK fine, but I do know people who had sensitivities, and always seem to have some kind of respiratory problem.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: Hong Kong and its pollution.

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

We've lived in Beijing and have visited HK (and have friends that moved from Beijing to teach in HK) and by most accounts HK is no where near as severe/oppressive as Beijing. We made it through a couple of years in Beijing with no serious respiratory issues (so maybe we are not the people to ask) and found/hear HK was more hazy/annoying then the oppressive apocalyptic black fog that could hit Beijing for days/weeks on end.

It sounds like it should not be deal breaker in your case or at least worth the gamble for a few years since HK can be wonderful.
MartElla

Re: Hong Kong and its pollution.

Post by MartElla »

There are a lot of green parts within easy access in HK. Make those part of your routine and you'll be fine.

Seriously, you cannot compare HK to Beijing/Shanghai/random Chinese city. Not yet, at least.