HOD and Asst. Prin. Positions

twoteachers

HOD and Asst. Prin. Positions

Post by twoteachers »

Is recruitment of HOD/Learning Coaches/Asst. Principals the same time of year as leadership positions? I noticed this year that Search had a Leadership fair in Bangkok in November.

Looking ahead to next year's cycle.
shadowjack

Re: HOD and Asst. Prin. Positions

Post by shadowjack »

twoteachers,

it depends on the school and what they want to look for at the leadership fair. Your associate should be able to tell you more about it.
ap410

Post by ap410 »

I was just told at the ISS Fair NYC by several Directors and Superintendents that the majority of leadership/admin positions are on a different recruiting cycle and begin much earlier, like May-October. Granted, I had 6 interviews and received several offers for various Principal and AP jobs so it's not like there weren't jobs to be had.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

For senior and higher leadership appointments which includes AP/VP/DP recruiting starts in early Summer to about November. ISs want senior leadership in place and part of the process in recruiting faculty appointments. Some ISs start senior and executive leadership recruitment much earlier than that years current recruiting cycle, sometimes years in advance.

For junior leadership (HODs, Coordinators and Coaches) it depends what the tasking requirements are and how its allocated. The more time spent on classroom tasking the more likely the appointment is to be scheduled for recruitment as part of faculty staff recruitment. An HOD who has a fulls schedule of courses with some release time for TLR is more an IT and less an HOD. Coaches are typically considered faculty (with TLR) and not (junior) leadership

The SA Leadership fair has been around for a number of years, though relatively recent.
twoteachers

Post by twoteachers »

I've been holding out applying to admin jobs because I keep thinking I have no chance yet, but I'm seeing friends of mine get jobs with no experience at all and I have at least some and the leadership degree.....am I being too wimpy? All the postings say don't bother applying unless you have this type of experience...should I just go for it anyway?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@twoteachers

Whats the cost in resources to applying? You add a short paragraph to your cover/intro and create a 1 page leadership philosophy and a 1 page management statement. It takes you a minute to apply for a vacancy. What is that an hour at most for the essays and the cover/intro inclusion? If you are unsuccessful, what are you really out, a couple hours of time at most?