Sorry for another topic about teaching certification

jake290788

Sorry for another topic about teaching certification

Post by jake290788 »

Hi,

Apologies for creating another topic on this as I know a lot about this has been discussed. However, I am a bit confused as some threads aren't entirely clear.

I've read that some people (non-US citizens) have obtained a US teaching license and then QTS. I'm considering doing TeachNow, which I believe is a route to achieving this. I just want to check to see if there are any easier routes. I taught for over 2 years in the UK as an unqualified teacher in an academy school and I am coming up to 1 year in an international school in China.

I know there is also the Assessment Only route but I don't have plans to return to the UK any time soon and I believe that I would need to do that in order to complete the Professional Skills tests.

Is TeachNow the best option?

Thanks
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Well we would need to know more about you Such as do you have any academic preparation in professional education?
What do you mean by easiest? Does it mean the least amount of work, or time, or coin?

If you have some background in education (something equivalent to a PGCEi, etc.) you could apply for the CT initial credential via the experience pathway. You can renew the credential for total of 18 years and may or may not qualify for QTS.
If you have a doctorate than MO (Missouri) will provide you an initial credential after taking the meds/peds/asst exam, which can be renewed indefinitely without PD.
Another route would be to apply for the MA provisional credential. This will require you to take a couple exams. The credential is valid for 5 years of employment in MA, but if you never teach in MA you will never use any of that time, and will effectively be a lifetime credential. MA very recently changed their scheme and credential titles, meaning you could have an opportunity to get QTS before the TCL did any updating, however based on their previous assessment the new credential title would not qualify for QTS. After three years of teaching on either the MA provisional credential or the CT initial credential you could apply for the HI Standard credential. This credential you can renew and would also get you QTS. You could then add the ESOL endorsement and during that time complete a Masters degree (online or distance learning) and then apply for the CA CLEAR credential which is the only professional grade or better US credential that doesnt require PD to renew that foreigners can obtain.
All of that combined (with a low cost Masters such as from Portsmouth) would be less than the Teach Now program, and you would have the Masters for the same coin.
Of course you can stop after the first stage. Either keeping the MA provisional credential without QTS or possibly getting QTS after the CT Initial credential. Either way you would have a US credential, and the MA one would effectively be a lifetime credential. The CT credential has higher potential and better recognition, but carries with it more work and resources to keep current and valid.

You dont have to return to the UK to take the professional skills test, it is offered in Germany, France, and Spain. You can also do the AO route at a BSO through the TES Institute and by special arrangement with a number of other AO providers. The fees and time required are about half of what Teach Now is. Understand that all the US routes require testing that you will have to travel for (though depending where in China you are it may be a local or regional trip).
Teach Now will accomplish what you want and will allow you to obtain QTS with the DC credential you would complete as well. The DC credential is valid for 4 years and can be renewed. The program cost is USD$6K plus testing and travel costs. Field experience is 12 weeks of the program, and you will need an acceptable cooperating IS. The total completion time is about 9 months.
jake290788

Re: Sorry for another topic about teaching certification

Post by jake290788 »

PsyGuy,

Thank you once again for taking the time to reply. It is very much appreciated.

I'll be honest and say that I am new to the international school scene. I work with a very experienced international school teacher who is always encouraging me to get some form of formal teaching qualification. I don't have any prior academic preparation in professional education. It's more a case that I've had some great opportunities to experience working as a teacher and I really don't see myself doing anything else now because I am passionate about it.
The thing is I am not going to stay at my current job forever. However, just browsing job sites I feel like I won't even be able to apply to the majority of jobs out there because they all seem to require some formal qualification (understandable, I know). Now, I want to be clear. I am not looking for an easy way because I don't want to put in real effort becoming qualified. I just want to be able to keep teaching and at the same time obtain something that is going to allow me to at least apply to some of the other job opportunities out there besides China. Maybe I've got it wrong but it seems like it's always there a a 'requirement.'

Also, I talk of QTS because that's what I'm familiar with in the UK and I always see it mentioned in job advertisements. However, I don't plan on going back to the UK to teach, so is QTS even necessary?

I know I probably sound naive and ignorant but I am trying to take a positive next step in my teaching career. I just want to make sure I choose the right one.

Cheers
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jake290788

CT wont work for you than, you wont pass the transcript ana1ysis.

Lack of a profession educator credential will significantly reduce the opportunities you are marketable to. As you are experiencing now there are opportunities available, but you will be stuck in third tier ISs for a longer portion of your career without a professional educator credential.

Your messages than are contradicting in your former message you ask if Teach Now is the best option, in your latter post you state you are not looking for the easy way, Im confused what you mean by "best option" than? The "best option" and one the major contributor are generally in consensus about is completing an academic (traditional) EPP/ITT program that includes a significant field experience with mentorship. Such ITT/EPP programs are generally a year in length and are offered by various tertiary institutions and consist of in addition to field work, are comprised of a focused collection of courses that result in graded/marked units for which you earn transcript credits. The programs academic/studied components revolve around the trinity of meds/peds/asst. A PGCE is one example of such a program.
Is that the only way, no. You can do more (such as a 1st or 2nd degree in education) or you can do less such as skills based programs (school direct, etc.) or even less such as assessment based programs (AO, etc.). The less you do the easier the program, and while they accomplish the same goal, they arent equivalently described as the "best" pathway. Quality takes time and resources, you can sacrifice one and gain efficiencies in another, but it is a sacrifice, there is something lost, dont disillusion yourself. Your rational that you want to stay in the classroom, to continue working is understandable, and reasonable, but shortcuts will short you in the end, you will lose something. If you are okay with that, than own it but there is nothing noble in your reasoning, its just a preference.

QTS is one form of professional educator credential in the UK, there are others (QTLS). In the US it is a credential issued by the state regulatory authority. in CAN it is registration maintained by a provincial regulatory authority and in AUS registration maintained by the territorial regulatory authority.
Is a professional educator credential required to enter IE, no, but appointments are more difficult to obtain and you are much less competitive for upper tier ISs.
jake290788

Re: Sorry for another topic about teaching certification

Post by jake290788 »

I don't mean to contradict myself. I suppose the easiest way to put it is that I do not want to go back to the UK and fork out nearly £10,000 to do a PGCE. I already have a job that I am happy with for now and so the idea of going back to England to gain a qualification to just leave again and teach internationally is obviously not appealing. I'm not trying to be noble. Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing and I would love to go back and change my degree to one in education and save myself the headache. Nevertheless, this is the situation I am in. I have searched and searched but it seems there are only a few options given the fact I am already working in an international school:
1) TeachNow
2) PGCEI
3) Finish my contract and look to enroll in a year long ITT/EPP university program?

Unfortunately, I don't really have the resources to become a full time student again.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@jake290788

No, you could do TES Institute using the AO pathway, you need to be in an IS to do that. Yes, you would likely need to travel to the UK (or Germany, or France, or Spain) to do the professional skills exam, but youd have to travel to do the PRAXIS exams for Teach Now or the MTEL, and the professional skills tests for numeracy and literacy are much easier than PTL and subject exams. The AO pathway is half the cost of Teach Now.
You could also pursue the provisional credential pathway through MA, you wouldnt get QTS out of it, but you would have a fully valid professional educator credential. You will never teach in MA so it will never expire.

I wouldnt recommend the PGCEi in your position, you have a classroom and the costs are comparable to Teach Now, and the PGCEi doesnt result directly in QTS. You can use a PGCEi to get credentialed in the US and then use that to get QTS, but there is extra work and resources when a direct route is available.

Im not opposed to shortcuts, Ive included pathways of obtaining credentials that include doing a name search of your own name on various state/province/territory lookup tools to see if your name matches one of an educator and then just appropriating their credential (but generally refrain from doing so as the major contributors have expressed a certain degree of consensus, that such discussion even if framed as academic and not actual advice reflects poorly on the profession). I dont pass judgements.