SABIS so-called "schools"

the Hippo

SABIS so-called "schools"

Post by the Hippo »

Having taught in Saudia Arabia, Egypt and now in Qatar, I have heard nothing good about Chewyfat "schools". I have had several colleagues who have had the great misfortune to "teach" at these institutions and their experiences were little short of horrific.

First of all, many Chewyfat "schools" employ "teachers" who are not properly trained or qualified. In some cases, these "teachers" were supposed to be teaching English, but in fact their own command of the language was so poor and so limited that their lessons were almost worthless.

Secondly, the younger children in these institutions are not given age-appropriate materials, just dull text. No colour, no pictures, nothing that can be terned "child-friendly". Play-based learning is actively discouraged.

Thirdly, the "teachers" have to stick rigidly to the SABIS textbooks. Don't try to extend the more able or do reinforcement activities for the less able. Woe betide the "teacher" who does not follow the textbook. So much for differentiation!

Fourthly, it is Chewyfat policy not to allow parents to meet their child's "teachers". Why not? What do they have to hide?

Fifthly, trememndous emphasis is placed on regurgitation and repetition, but any real understanding of what you have learned is discouraged because that might mean deviating from the correct page of the textbook.

Finally, the SABIS schools call themselves "international schools", but really they are just for Arab kids. Of course, all the mothers turn up while the Filipino maids carry the kids' bags for them. The kids just jabber at each other in Arabic all the time and shout insults at their Nepali drivers, so it is a waste of time trying to teach the children that racism and chauvinistic attitudes twowards women are wrong.

Maybe some of the parents would like their children to learn English, but unfortunately it does not occur to the Arab parents that sending your child to a school full of Arabs is not a good way to do that.

I would very much like to hear from other teachers who have had first-hand experience of teaching in the SABIS system. My information is second-hand, I freely admit, but what I have heard seems to have a ring of truth.
johnwest

"Chewyfat" schools

Post by johnwest »

What was your motivation for this diatribe? You admit that everything you typed is secondhand. You bemoan anyone trying to teach respect for women and anti-racism. I also do not believe the spelling of the name is correct, but I am willing to admit I may be wrong. I, too, have not had direct contact with this school system.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

I think you will find the correct spelling would be Chouefat. I hope the Hippo is not actually a teacher...now that would be scary.
the Hippo

Chewyfat

Post by the Hippo »

As the Choueifat schools cannot be bothered to give a proper education to their pupils, I don't see why I should be bothered to spell their silly name correctly.

As for those who complained that what I wrote was "second hand" and a "diatribe", you may (or may not) be interested to read this quotation (taken from the TES teaching overseas forum) from a teacher who has actually tried to work in a SABIS school:

"I taught in Choueifat in Amman, Jordan. Do not touch them with a barge pole if you are serious about teaching. It is prescriptive, dull, irrelevant garbage, by and large. In classrooms, you have a blackboard and that is it. Chalk (and fruit) make good projectiles for the kids to hurl at teachers - no kidding. The UAE sector is run by a chap who should be in a small padded room. Awful is the best way I could describe our one term there and the UAE is no better. "

Quod erat demonstrandum?
lholz

Post by lholz »

If my AP students wrote essays using so many adverbs, adjectives and such hyperbole, I would tell them they sound immature and that it detracts from any valid statements they wish to make.

Some of what the hippo has to say about the Sabis system is valid but it is surrounded by what seems to be anger and racism towards Arabs. I find that offensive - even more offensive than the Sabis system of teaching.

I would not recommend that trained teachers take jobs within the Sabis system because it goes against ALL good teaching methodology taught in education courses, not because of the students in a Sabis school. Some of those students and their parents are among the nicest I've met.
the Hippo

The Nicest People

Post by the Hippo »

"Chalk (and fruit) make good projectiles for the kids to hurl at teachers - no kidding." This was written by someone who has tried to teach in a SABIS school and it suggests that not all SABIS students are so wonderful as the previous poster has suggested.

If you read a recent article that has been published in the ISR about Kuwait, you are left with the impression that most Kuwaitis - and perhaps other Gulf Arabs - are deeply racist. What was written about Kuwaitis could easily have been written about Saudis and Qataris. Therefore I do not believe that many (or most) SABIS parents are some of the nicest people you could ever meet.

The previous posting admits that the SABIS schools are rubbish and that anyone with any sense would never send their child to such a dreadful institution. If parents care about their child's happiness and welfare, why do they send them to the Chewyfat schools? It does not make sense.

Having been accused of racism, I would like to say that I met many delightful, kind and funny Egyptians during the two years I was teaching in Cairo. During a recent trip to Oman, I also had the pleasure to meet some of "the gentlefolk of the Gulf". Omanis are hardworking, hospitable, humble people. They are lovely human beings.

Lying is not something that "nice" people should do. It is a lie to say that the Choueifat Schools are "international". I would even suggest that it is a lie to say that they are "schools", since rigidly following the SABIS textbook is indoctrination, not education.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Dear Hippo,

I think you are missing the point that was first raised by johnwest...i.e. what was the point in your writing 'what you heard'. At least Iholz is writing a comment based upon experience. There are many reviews / comments on the ISR site that are on occasions bordering on slanderous, but the one justification is that it is the writer's perspective based upon their experience. If ISR moves into the realm of gossip then it loses its justification for being.

With regards racism - as I tell my students, being wronged does not give reason for doing the same unto others. It is probably best to limit your comments to those individuals that have been 'less than pleasant' rather than condemn an entire region (you have in fact even gone beyond national boundaries).

Finally, I would worry about the teacher's control in an instance where chalk and fruit might be thrown in any classroom. I have taught in some pretty tough inner city schools and have always managed to establish an atmosphere of respect...