Brunei for Americans

Dredge

Brunei for Americans

Post by Dredge »

Hello All,

Am I wrong to assume that the schools in Brunei will not hire United States citizens? It seems they prefer every other English speaking nationality... If I am wrong, can someone elaborate, please.

Thank you very much.

D
Teach1010

Re: Brunei for Americans

Post by Teach1010 »

I would say it depends more on the curriculum the school uses. If a school uses a UK curriculum, they are likely to lean toward hiring teachers from the UK. Brunei is such a small country that there may not be a market for an American school in addition to English, Canadian, Australian, etc. schools.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@Dredge

Its a tax issue, or more accurately a FINCEN issue.
Dredge

Re: Brunei for Americans

Post by Dredge »

Thanks... So it's not possible, or just not likely, or not worth it for either .? What is FINCEN? Financial incentive... just made that up.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Dredge

Just not worth all the extra work for the IS. FINCEN = Financial Criminal Enforcement Network, them and OFAC (Office of Foreign Asset Control) are the two agencies (FINCEN is Treasury and OFAC is State) that make life difficult for expat Americans. Brunei is one of those little pockets of the world where people like to hide money from their government. Hire an American give them a bank account and now you have to comply with all kinds of rules, and regulations and its just not worth it.