Cambridge

newcounsel

Cambridge

Post by newcounsel »

I noticed that some of the schools attending the job fair just one or two positions open. My question is will they show up with just one-two job post? I have also heard in the past that some schools do not even show up. How and when will an accurate list come out before the Cambridge fair.
reisgio

Re: Cambridge

Post by reisgio »

Ha. You won't get any accurate information from Search until you arrive at the fair, after traveling there. I once went to a Search fair and it wasn't until I got there that it was announced that the school that was my first choice with my position would not be attending. No explanation given. They had not filled the position, I learned later. They just decided to not waste their time and money on that particular fair. They went to another a couple of weeks later, where there were more single or couple candidates for them without dependents. Got to love it.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

That's why Bangkok is nice. Pretty much everybody shows up. There might be one cancellation, but they also add schools too, or at least they did the year I went.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

@newcounsel

They may attend, there is a policy that an IS either attends a fair each recruiting season or there is a fee they pay. If travel is confirmed and at least partially non-refundable they may attend the fair and do their one presentation, though no recruiting especially if the recruiter/leadership member wants to attend the fair for alternative motivations.

An IS may also attend to meet and great with prearranged candidates, meaning they are attending but they wont be conducting interviews during signup. They may still give there presentation, but they are there to meet and greet with a small select group of IT candidates, you wont have access to them without being one of those ITs.

The IS may also be 'show recruiting' meaning they participate in signup, give their presentation and evem hold some interviews, but they arent going to offer contracts at the fair. They are for practical purposes building their candidate pool.

You will not know until the morning of signup which vacancies have been closed/open. Signup morning is often disappointing as its announced the more popular ISs have closed their vacancies. There are ITs who have attended based on interviewing with a couple of ISs only to find on the morning of signup that there are no vacancies for them in their subject area or the ISs they came to meet have finished.
newcounsel

Post by newcounsel »

Wow !!!! Thank you for giving me an insight on what I might face. We are paying quite a bit of money for travel, hotel, transportation , etc... to not have accurate information until the day of arrival. Doesn't seem fair
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Newcounsel. Most information will be as accurate as it can be. However. there have been two major fairs and several smaller fairs before Cambridge.Funny - I remember when Cambridge used to the THE fair. That was back when you didn't have to let your school know you were going until mid-December. Oh, how the times have changed!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@newcounsel

I agree with @SJ, its not the fair organizer, its the ISs/recruiters, those vacancies that closed were filled/closed in first night recruiting (the day&evening before signup).

@SJ

That really wasnt that long ago.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

@PsyGuy, but long ago enough that many international teachers don't remember it LOL
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@SJ

Fair enough, the attention span of a modern millennial IT is 4.2 seconds, and they dont remember what they were doing minutes ago, much less some larger measurement of time.

I can just imagine you as some Dumbledore head IT lecturing a group of new ITs:

"...And let tell you, back in my day we had ONLY ONE fair, and we didnt have no fancy computing contraptions. You had to write it in block letters by, hand, and the only fonts we had were printed and cursive.
We didnt have no business cards either we had napkin, and you had to use a toothpick and prick your finger and then dip the nib of your quill pen in your own blood and write your room number on the napkin.
We didnt have no boxes either, you had to bring an owl which took your message to the headmaster (this was before we had head mistresses), in the morning you could look int he atrium and see nothing but white from all the owls soaring this way and that. There werent no offers in elevators either, we didnt even have stairs, just a steep incline you had to walk uphill both ways, and at each floor there was a troll you had to answer a riddle or be chased back down to the bottom. back then getting an interview time was an indicator of real commitment on the part of an IT."....
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

LOL. No, I don't reminisce about the "good ol' days" because today's days are pretty good too!