question for recruiters/SEN teachers re: IB experience

martalin

question for recruiters/SEN teachers re: IB experience

Post by martalin »

How important is IB curriculum experience for a teacher in Special Education Needs? Is not having it a deal breaker? I would appreciate as many responses as possible.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Short Answer: Not as important as it is for a DP IT but neither is it unimportant.

Long Answer: Not really that much longer, it greatly depends on the IS (do they have dual curriculum, such as a NC and IB, and IB is closed/selective admission that a LD student wouldnt likely be allowed to enroll) and other factors such as whole IS or only a particular division (only PYP or MYP). PYP it would be more important to understand UI, themes, the HRTs planner, etc. In MYP it would be much less important to have any IB experience. Finally, it doesnt so much matter the importance but what the IS/leadership want, IB experience may not be as significant for a particular appointment but if leadership has the same expectations for LD as it has for DIP than thats what they want and thats what you need.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: question for recruiters/SEN teachers re: IB experience

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I think it is certainly less important than for subject area and teachers who would be teaching PYP etc. We are generally considered a unique breed and successful relevant experience and training with the prospective schools usual SPED/LS population of students will generally get you in the room. After that, it is up to you to sell them on the fact that you have the mentality and skill set to help support students within an IB framework. The caveat might be when it comes to supporting students for IB exams etc. In the end as has been mentioned, it is down to the individual leadership of that school as to whether they think that it is a deal breaker.

I have never worked at an IB school. I have interviewed with quite a few and in soliciting feedback after not getting the job, only one has told me they went with a person with IB experience over me. So, while not generally a deal breaker, it would definitely be an advantage and taking a job for a couple of years at an otherwise less desirable IB school could turn out to be a worthwhile investment if your ultimate dream gig(s) implements the IB.
mamava

Post by mamava »

I'm an LS teacher--and being able to be knowledgeable about the IB program and the expectations for the students would be important. As a service provider (for students and for teachers) you have to be able to demonstrate that you understand how you can support the students in their academic attempts as well as support the teachers--a challenging task in that IB is an external program and subject to demands and requirements that the school doesn't have control over. There are a LOT of students with LD and ADHD that are capable of doing IB level work--particularly if schools allow students to take certificate classes (as opposed to the full DP program)--but they need the proper support and teachers need to understand how that works in accordance with IB policies. While I haven't worked at the HS level, I have interviewed for 2 HS positions and both times I was asked about the IB program and providing support for students at that level.
martalin

Post by martalin »

I am specifically referring to primary level/PYP. Thanks so much for your replies!