2 School counselors in the family

CanChi4

2 School counselors in the family

Post by CanChi4 »

As mentioned on another post, my husband and I are both licensed mental health therapists. He has extensive experience as a therapist and in administration in psych. hospitals and large agencies; I have worked for just 2 years. Noting that, it has been advised that he go for the school position, and I go for an expat agency job (currently I am a child therapist in an agency specializing in kids whose parents are immigrants). While the odds are against us both finding school counseling positions, I thought I would still put my hat in the ring for a school job and see what happens. Usually it is recommended that the cover letter and summary contain a "couple's paragraph". I wonder if we still do that considering we are both going for similar jobs (I have more experience with young kids - he with adolescents. We both work with schools for our clients.). We are filling out the Search and Assoc. application and probably will fill out one for TIES. Do we link ourselves or not?
Thanks!
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is always follow the instructions in the posting or in the application process.

You need two versions of your cover letter/introduction message. One for the rare scenario where there are available vacancies for both of you as a couple and one for when you applying with/as a trailing spouse. It is appropriate and desirable to include a brief line or two regarding the trailing spouses skill set should it offer some utility for the IS when the negotiation and appointment stage be reached.

I would advise against presenting yourselves as a teaching couple in general applications (when there isnt specifically a current vacancy for both of you). The impression is likely to be interpreted that you are only interested in a dual counselor offer, which would be so rare, as to significantly reduce your opportunities. Recruiters and ownership are much more flexible in regards to creating staff positions for in demand trailing spouses, and even support positions in primary or lower secondary academic appointments, but school leaving and admin roles are rare at anything below negotiating an executive leadership appointment.