Both Partners Attending Fair Required?

twoteachers

Both Partners Attending Fair Required?

Post by twoteachers »

My husband and I are new to international teaching. We both gave our Masters, 15 years experience in lots of varied curriculums, and certified in two states. Do we both have to attend the fair together? We really don't have the money for both of us to go. Would we get job offers if just one of us went to the Search fair in Cambridge?
sciteach

Re: Both Partners Attending Fair Required?

Post by sciteach »

As the whole point of a job fair is to interview for positions, I'd say it's pivotal that you both attend if you both want job. If your partner is not after a job, it will not be as much of a problem but would still be helpful.

Also note that many schools have high startup costs such as setting up an apartment which should be considered when applying for positions....
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

I know of couples that have been hired at fairs when only one person attended due to family emergency, finances etc but it is not really the done thing and will put some schools off. If you are in a high needs field (e.g. Secondary Science, Math, etc) then possibly it would not hurt you too badly.

I would say that when making the investment to go to a fair, it is a life-changing event and would advise you to try any and all means to get both of you there to interview, support each other and maximize your chances at being hired by the best possible school.
senator

Post by senator »

Remember that a lot of school heads are not the most...shall we be nice and say... "flexible" people in the world and they have childlike egos that are easily bruised. Combine this with the fact that, with so many qualified candidates, heads are often just looking for any excuse to throw as many of those 500 job applications they receive in the trash.

If you are serious about getting jobs I would have to say that it is imperative that both of you show up.

You can save money by booking much cheaper hotels nearby, packing food rather than eating out, really scouring the internet sites for CHEAP flights.

Good luck and don't worry too much. Maybe this is a sign for you to wait until after the fairs when there will still be a lot of jobs.