American School in Japan

hansbeard

Post by hansbeard »

Oh... there's a lot more to think about from your perspective. TIS is right in the middle of the city and I can see your point. Nishimachi advantage is it's location with it being nestled in a quiet expat residential area.

Did you have a look at the Yokohama? There's another school there with a good track record with the IB.
hansbeard

Post by hansbeard »

I ask this. because one of the best International IB schools in the region is in Yokohama. It's located in a nice residential neighborhood, with large western style houses and is only a 30 minute train ride from the center of Tokyo.

Just one more option to think about..
hansbeard

Post by hansbeard »

Correct YIS doesn't have a MYP program.

The American school is large, has excellent facilities, and a large student body. I've heard good things about their Academics, but it's an American curriculum. They're campus is quite far away, that might be a concern.

Good questions, I like small schools, as you and your children are more likely to get the personal attention they deserve. Yes, a student can start in the IB later on. The overseas American school's academic are more rigorous than what is found in the US. I have seen students migrate from an American System into an IB system. Good examples of this exist with great schools like the United World College. http://www.uwc.org/

Despite YIS not having an MYP program, it would be my first choice. Since they do have a diploma program they must have systems in place to help children migrate into this program.

Will you have the option to visit these schools again?
hansbeard

Post by hansbeard »

This link is excellent for planning trips on the Tokyo train system. Its one more tool that might help you in deciding which school is right for you.

Japanese Train Route Finder

http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norika ... keyin.html
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

MYP is definitely not a requirement for being successful in IB. My daughter came out of a typical North American Junior High and Grade 10 program and graduated with honors from IB.
ptf

MYP

Post by ptf »

My personal opinon (as an IBDP teacher) is that MYP is not the best preparation for the diploma. Personally I prefer IGCSE followed by the DP. I'm a maths teacher and I know others who agree but I'm sure there are plenty of others with a different opinion.

My point is that you shouldn't be too hung up on the idea of MYP if what you really want is success in the diploma (of course if it is just that you really like MYP and want your kids in it then that is a different story). A lot of schools don't think the MYP is the best preparation which is why you see the PYP followed by some different system followed by DP in quite a lot of schools.