Oh Boy do I need HElP!?!

Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Just want you to know that we managed to overcome the three children issue when our kids were in elementary school and we wanted to go overseas. We initially offered to pay for one, though in hindsight I'm not so sure that was/is a wise idea because generally international schools are very expensive. Between the tuition and the benefits that you would need to pay for it might eat up one salary. In the end I was able to do work in kind to pay for one of our kids. We were happy the school was happy. Our second posting was with QSI, an organization that I have issues with but others are very happy with but do take more than 2 kids per teaching couple. I have also heard that Hong Kong International may take more than two, but I can't confirm that.

The other advantage with QSI is that they work on one year contracts, we went with the intention of doing two years so I can't vouch for their reaction if you said one. Personally I think you would be short changing yourself by only doing one. My rule of thumb is 6 months acclimating and 6 months thinking about going home, so you can see a year is easily eaten up. A two year stint allows you a full year in the middle to enjoy the culture and travel, plus it gives you that summer in between the first and second year to travel.

We were fortunate that our school district would give us two 1 year leaves. It was very hard last year giving up our positions and there are times when I wonder whether it was the right thing to do. Of course then we travel to the Philippines or Thailand or some other warm exotic place and I know it was the right decision. Our kids have benefited from it tremendously and you can see it in their confidence and world view.

Good luck in your decision making.
Saiyara

Post by Saiyara »

HI,
I believe that United World College in Singapore offers one year contracts. I know I had a friend who worked there a few years ago and her first contract was for one year. I think it's suppose to be a pretty good school although I did not see any reviews on this site.

I think going overseas with kids is a great idea... so much culture to learn about! Just beware if you choose a school that has mostly national kids (ex. school in Egypt that has mostly Egyptian kids, school in Korea that has mostly Korean kids). I taugt overseas for four years in two different countries and did see American kids in these types of schools have a hard time. If there are other staff members who have kids for your kids to hang with that's big help. Just keep that in mind. Try to find a school that truly has an international demographic.

Also, if you find a school you are interested in, you may even ask if they can put you in contact with current staff members who have children there. Then you can get feedback from them. If the school is good and reputable, they should not have a problem doing this.

It's a big decision especially with a family. Say a prayer for guidance and GOOD LUCK!!