Oh Boy do I need HElP!?!

shansar

Oh Boy do I need HElP!?!

Post by shansar »

Love reading all of the posts and envy all of you that are teaching abroad. My wife and I are both elementary teachers here in the States and have three elementary age children. We have both taught for 16 years.We really would love to teach overseas. (South America or Asia?) No we aren't trying to get away from anything and we aren't looking to make a bunch of money. We just want our kids to experience different things and see a different part of the world. We would love a slower pace and the chance to spend more quality time with our kids. (They grow so darn fast!)

Also do schools mind hiring a family with 3 dependents?
I imagine we may have to pay for one child but that would be fine.

If ANY of you have words of wisdom or advice I would sure appreciate it!
We are trying to decide whether to go the job fair in Northern Iowa or not.
If we do go I am investing $1200 and no sense going if we don't have a chance at getting hired. Thanks in advance for any help it is sure appreciated. I need to figure this out so I can start sleeping again!

:)
Last edited by shansar on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
schley

Post by schley »

yes there is a chance.... i just had a phone interview last night with Ivy Collegiate School in Taiwan.... they offer 1year contracts. they are a boarding school and for me I'm not looking for that..... but they do offer 1 year contracts to new hires exclusively.
guest5

1 year contracts

Post by guest5 »

I believe that the American School of Dubai offers a one year contract, although I wouldn't suggest telling any school during an interview that you are only interested in staying for one year. After all, you may arrive overseas and find that you love teaching overseas and want to stay! I would think that most schools would be leary of hiring someone that they think only want to stay a year, even if they do offer a one year contract. It is really expensive for a school to move a family overseas, so they (most likely) won't want to make that kind of investment if they think that the employee isn't interested in committing for more than a year.

There are some schools that will hire people with three dependent children, but some schools won't. I would go to the websites of schools that you are interested in. Sometimes that information is posted if you read the information about the school's benefits package.
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JISAlum

It takes time

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="interteach"]Cultural adjustment takes time, and on a first overseas posting you probably won't have too much time to enjoy culturally-adjusted life if you only give yourselves a year. Your life in the first year may not be quite so relaxed or slower-paced due to everyone experiencing cultural adjustment issues at different times and paces.[/quote]

I would second that. Adjustment for anyone takes place in a cycle (as explained during a new teacher inservice).

You start out essentially as a tourist- exploring new environments. That is a high, or positive, exciting time. Then you come to the realization you've got to work, and that life is tougher than you thought. This can be a down period. Then there is a period of learning or adjustment. Ups and downs. Finally you get to a point where you've figured out how to live and are comfortable in your new home.

Takes time, and you might not have that time for only a year. If you judge your new home in only a year you're short-changing the experience. Plus, it you look at your job as a temporary assignment, that's all you'll get. You'll always be looking to leave, for the experience to end. You need to think of the assignment as a new home and really experience everything it can offer.

IMHO
scribe

one year/ three children

Post by scribe »

Most schools do not offer one year contracts as initial contracts - it's just too costly to bring people over for that amount of time. American School of Doha offers one year contracts to people who have completed their initial two year contract - not initial one year contracts. Many good schools will consider quality candidates no matter what their family situation is. We have had four children - due to spacing, only three at a school at a time, but the oldest enjoyed flight benefits to visit us once per year and insurance coverage, so it was a great package - we've been at three different schools with three at a time. At none did we pay tuition, even though some may reserve the right to charge you for more than two children - that is often negotiable, even if it's not clearly stated. Check out schools' web sites - they often state what size family they will consider in their employment information.
specialed

Post by specialed »

My school also offers one year contracts - after you have completed your first 2 year contract. I have seen schools advertise 1 year contracts, and a lot don't. However, as time goes on, and the recruiting season is over and the summer approaches, I think the schools "loosen up" on who they hire and would be more and more willing to consider your situation as the next school year approaches. It can be very difficult to fill all of the positions at a school sometimes, especially if someone pulls out at the last minute (i.e. late Spring) so I think your chances of finding a place are good. Where and at what school, that's the question. Are you flexible in where you work? If you are, I think your chances are excellent to find something. Good luck and keep looking!
schley

Post by schley »

One major negative of teaching on a 1 year contract is that come January (4 months into your new job) you have to start looking for your next one. Now you have to go through ISS, SA, UNI and beat the bushes to land your next job. Thus you will probably teach at your new school longer Jan-June (6 months) looking for your next job or actually agreeing to a new contract at a new school.
shansar

Post by shansar »

Thanks Guys!
Last edited by shansar on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest5

Post by guest5 »

For what it's worth, I think you might want to still consider going to a fair...we also took a leave of absence (in our case, our school granted us a two year leave) , but after experiencing teaching abroad, we didn't hesitate for a minute turning in our resignations! (We didn't tell the recruiter when we accepted our positions that we were just taking a leave of absence from our stateside jobs because we wanted to keep all options open.) If you have a low mortgage, I would consider keeping your house in the States, even if you decided to stay abroad. Our one big regret was that we sold ours and then had to stay with friends and relatives all summer. With children, you would want to have your own place for summers.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scribe

Another option?

Post by scribe »

Although I don't know specific contact information, some web searching may provide you with an answer to your dilemma - there are teacher exchange programs, some where teachers not only swap jobs but housing, so that makes it easier to plan for - and then there are fellowships for teachers for one year, teaching overseas, which would allow you to stay within your leave of absence rules. Your dream is worth it - and so is keeping some security for your family - best of luck in your quest.
schley

Post by schley »

I'm faced with a decision similar to yours, in that my school district won't even grant a leave of absence for 1 year. I basically will have to resign my position. I have to take a leap of faith and trust that God has a plan for me. I feel compelled to do this and I will resign my position when that time comes. I originally was hoping to take a 1 year sabbatical which didn't happen, and then leave of absence which didn't happen. I am forced to think should I feel a prisoner of the job I have? I am choosing to have faith, resign my position, rent out my townhouse, and see what this international teaching has in store for me.

Losing tenure and seniority is a sacrifice, but so is never being able to pursue a dream. I mean how often can we actually pursue a dream? It doesn't take that much sacrifice, although it does mean giving up a little. But the thought of what you may end up with just outweighs it for me.
shansar

Post by shansar »

That's great schley you should go for it. I am more hesitant with having an entire family counting on me to make the right choice. No pressure there Dad! I am going to attend an ISS fair and though it may put us back $1000 I can't ever say I didn't give it a shot! Thanks again you guys for all of the help.
Now I just need to figure out a great place to teach that is good for my family! One step at a time......

:)
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Just want you to know that we managed to overcome the three children issue when our kids were in elementary school and we wanted to go overseas. We initially offered to pay for one, though in hindsight I'm not so sure that was/is a wise idea because generally international schools are very expensive. Between the tuition and the benefits that you would need to pay for it might eat up one salary. In the end I was able to do work in kind to pay for one of our kids. We were happy the school was happy. Our second posting was with QSI, an organization that I have issues with but others are very happy with but do take more than 2 kids per teaching couple. I have also heard that Hong Kong International may take more than two, but I can't confirm that.

The other advantage with QSI is that they work on one year contracts, we went with the intention of doing two years so I can't vouch for their reaction if you said one. Personally I think you would be short changing yourself by only doing one. My rule of thumb is 6 months acclimating and 6 months thinking about going home, so you can see a year is easily eaten up. A two year stint allows you a full year in the middle to enjoy the culture and travel, plus it gives you that summer in between the first and second year to travel.

We were fortunate that our school district would give us two 1 year leaves. It was very hard last year giving up our positions and there are times when I wonder whether it was the right thing to do. Of course then we travel to the Philippines or Thailand or some other warm exotic place and I know it was the right decision. Our kids have benefited from it tremendously and you can see it in their confidence and world view.

Good luck in your decision making.