Another year over...

educator

Another year over...

Post by educator »

Another year over and a new recruiting season just begun. Here’s a ‘top ten’ list of warning lights to look for and ask questions about during those all important New Year interviews. There must be more chestnuts we’ve overlooked in the ashes…good luck for 2008!

1. “Compared to local teachers our pay is very favorable.� Subtext; you’d be earning more at home flipping burgers, part time.
2. “We’re looking for teachers with a sense of humor.� The school is a joke, which you’ll quickly tire of.
3. “We need adaptable staff.� The school is in a state of constant upheaval and / or in an unpredictable political situation.
4. “We need young, energetic, dynamic teachers...� You’ll be working twelve hour+ days, in what amounts to a madhouse. Previous teaching experience is undesirable because it is relatively expensive.
5. “We provide local healthcare.� Be particularly careful with this one.
6. “We provide assistance in finding accommodation.� We don’t pay for your accommodation. We might ask someone from the office to help translate, but basically you are on your own.
7. “Provides a wonderful base to explore …… (Insert geographic region).� You’ll want to be on the first flight out each Friday.
8. “Pay and conditions are negotiable, if your pieces fit our puzzle.� These people are unashamed exploiters. Pirate ship ethics apply.
9. “…chance to explore a fascinating, vibrant culture whilst gaining valuable experience…� Your daily life will be like turning over a rock to see what’s underneath, accompanied by a deafening soundtrack. You’ll quickly move on with another bullet point on your resume and a silent vow to learn from your mistakes.
10. “Extraordinary savings potential.� There’s nothing to do, see, or spend your money on after the first week.
scribe

Post by scribe »

Well done! I nominate this for front page status, especially during recruiting season...
windorama

Post by windorama »

Well done is right!

I agree with all but #2 (sense of humor).

Who enjoys working with colleagues who can't see the lighter side of things?!

:lol:
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

Loved this post. I'd nominate it for post of the year! :)
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reignman

Post by Reignman »

I'm having some problems with that last post, in that it kind of says to me that teachers should just be subordinates and not look into anything? Health Care, living conditions and community life are critical parts of one's sanity during their overseas experience. We've all read the reviews on ISR about nightmare schools where things aren't how they should be - we have to ask those questions if we are to be successful. I teach to live, not the other way around, and want to make sure I'll enjoy my time wherever I end up. Maybe this previous post is just a good Christmas laugh, but if there's any seriousness to it (and we should all just sign contracts without asking questions), then maybe the international scene isn't for me.
specialed

Post by specialed »

I think the message is supposed to be a funny reply to the other funny message. If you have taught at an international school, you would see the humor in both sets of messages. Schools can do some pretty shady things - hidden behind carefully laid out words. I have also witnessed staff who complain about everything, including the country we are in. As if someone made them come here! I have seen teachers complain about the bus ride to school, but are totally indignant when you suggest that they get a car if they don't like the long ride. It's as if the world is out to serve them so that is why the second set of "funnies" made me grin. The first set was really good too as I have heard schools promise/suggest things that I wasn't sure of at the time, now I know them to be way off the mark as far as factual and truthful comments goes. Great posts for the holidays! I often see people in this forum complain, sometimes legitimately, but sometimes you can tell they expect the world to be their servant. Look at the number of times the word "bully" is used. It seems like every director is a bully, or maybe it is someone who doesn't get their way and doesn't like it when a school policy is followed that the teacher doesn't like. I have had lots of fun so far as an international teacher and have not seen the "bullying" so far. I'm not saying that some director out their isn't, but wow, when you see literally a hundred or more posts about "bullies" I really wonder if it is a bully or someone who thinks they are "God's gift to teaching". I work with several and they are actually more forceful about their opinions then the "bully" ever would be. This reminds me of when I was a kid and another kid would hit you, then run to their mom/dad and complain about you (of course leaving out their part). Something to think about?
Conant

of course it goes both ways

Post by Conant »

As one who has not yet made it into the overseas teaching world, I enjoyed both posts that humorously point out the two perspectives of many similar issues. I think we all know there are marginal and whining teachers in every school just as many schools have an administrator (or more) who can't administrate very well. If I were to avoid every school on this site that has a bad evaluation, I would not have many options left. This site provides good perspective for me, but I must balance it against other information that I discover on the schools that interest me. And I always keep in mind that a negative post could have come from a teacher who won't be happy anywhere, just as I try to keep in mind that a glowing post could have come from an administrator trying to make a bad school sound better. I've found that oftentimes unhappy teaching colleagues can make my life nearly as miserable as a bad administrator can.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

Unfortunately, in view of some of Ichiro's other posts his 'Top 10 Red Flags for Administrators' isn't quite as humorous as it might seem.

Don't be mislead by his claim that what you see on this board is a 'small slice of reality'. I used to think that until I joined an IB World School a couple of years ago. The Primary Head was a certified IB Trainer, was pretty 'in' with the IB Asia Pacific crowd and was probably the most mean spirited, nasty piece of work I've come across in 22 years of teaching, nationally and internationally. Sure, one individual doesn't make the school a bad school and in 22 years of teaching I haven't met many like this individual, but one bad administrator can have a huge impact on the lives of many teachers for as long as s/he is in that position, especially because teachers are expected to complete their 2 year contract.

It is no consolation knowing that there are lots of good schools out there, and I know there are, because unlike teachers who are annually appraised there is a lack of enthusiasm amongst international school administrators to undergo the same process. As has been pointed out on this Board bad administrators just keep getting recycled from one school to the next, climbing higher and higher. So, the idea that you could apply for a teaching position at an IB World School, accredited by COIS and/or various US accreditation agencies and end up with Mr/s. administrator from Hell makes the prospect of job hunting in the international school circuit somewhat scary.
ichiro

Post by ichiro »

deleted
Last edited by ichiro on Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
specialed

Post by specialed »

I agree with the question, "So why bother?" If International teaching is so bad for you, don't teach overseas. It is not for everybody. When overseas, you have to be able to stay, even in some rough times. Adversity and the unexpected are really to be expected. This is not easy to deal with if you are obsessive-compulsive (and let's be honest there are many people who are and you need everything to be done in your way and your time frame). In a way that is great because they are very orderly and that can be very nice to have a well run schedule, an organized classroom, and so on. Back home you could resign, although in Texas if you leave a school "hanging" by quiting, they can pull your certification if notified by your school. Talk about bullying and blackballing. International teaching is not a cake walk. Everyone who teaches overseas isn't the greatest person you will ever meet and your best friend for life. However, where are you going to find these people back home? Is your teaching job back home going to ensure that you have the best administrators and best co-teachers? International teaching will let you travel to places you dreamed about, working in locations you dream about, and let you work with some pretty awesome people. So are you going to focus on that one person whom you don't like/don't agree with, or are you going to focus on the plethora of reasons to work at an international school?

I know this site loves to rip into administrators (and some deserve it) but this site is also very one-sided and overlooks poor teacher performance and tries to excuse this poor teacher performance under the guise of "bad administration", "bullying", and "non-transparency". I work at a wonderful school with wonderful people. Do I like everyone - no. Do I have to like everyone to be be happy - no. It's funny how, on the one hand people say they are against blackballing and that it is wrong and evil, but on the other hand they slam administrators in an open forum to other teachers. If someone can tell me how these are different I would love to know. So teachers can badmouth any administrator in a public forum, but administrators can't badmouth teachers? I think they are both wrong. Whatever happened to talking to the person face-to-face and standing by your word. On the one hand people slam schools for not honoring their contract, on the other hand they have no problem "up and leaving" which is breaking the contract on their side. It all sounds so one-sided to me. How is this fair? The teachers can bad mouth anyone they want to and break contract "for any reason - Period" (to quote something written in another part of ISR) but when the administrators break contract or badmouth someone it is wrong. Aren't they generally both wrong (the key word is generally. Sexual harassment, safety issues, extreme incompetence are not acceptable by my definition)? Am I one of the few that see this as wrong or is there a silent majority who sees badmouthing and contract breaking as generally wrong - whichever side does it?
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

Because Ichiro I believe in international education, I believe in international mindedness, I believe in intercultural understanding, I believe in tolerance, I'm a TCK. The question could also be asked of you, because some of your posts have been rude, intolerant, and just plain unhelpful.

Specialed I'd be grateful if you'd point out any other website or forum where international teachers can get an honest, no-cover up opinion of administrators in international schools.

You seem to have missed my point about teacher appraisals. Many/most (?) international schools have some sort of appraisal system in place, so 'bad' teaching (or poor teaching performance - there's an interesting value-laden term) can be identified and worked on. Peer review is another way of identifying 'bad' practice or aspects of professional practice that need improving. If all administrators were required to undergo the same process this website might not be needed.

Thanks for the good advice about working internationally, actually I find it a little patronising, but hey that's what friends are for. I've seen all you've said in the interesting places that I've worked in. What I find ironic is that you're full of good advice about honouring contracts and not exposing schools that wouldn't last 5 minutes in the US or UK, when you clearly have no experience of being trapped in a situation that leaves you feeling exposed, helpless, degraded, unvalued, unsupported etc. etc. etc. Do you think the Katherine Phillips situation was some sort of fantasy she dreamed up after smoking something strong?

The really great thing about this website is that people are free to air their views, and if schools or administrators are criticised unfairly other people can set the record straight.
samuraiwriter

Post by samuraiwriter »

Well said Traveller1.

I wish I had known about this site prior to my 1st UNI fair. It wouldn't have necessarily made me NOT sign with my current (and soon to be former "school") but it certainly would have prompted more specific questions/investigations prior to and during the interview process. This site also has a wealth of information to help teachers other than the reviews.

I find this site and all of it's opinions whether I agree or not extremely useful.

The question is how to we get the word of this site out to new teachers to the international game who may never not know of it's existence?
JISAlum

Can see both sides

Post by JISAlum »

[quote="ichiro"]....You know, if you're using this website and bulletin board trying to get an idea of what it's like in the overseas circuit, please be aware that what is represented by ISR and this bulletin board is a pretty small slice of reality.

There seem to be two 'sides' and I can see both. I agree with ichiro's view that what you get here tends to be negative. Its the same with any product review site. Those that are motivated tend to be so because of something they perceive as wrong.

However in terms of dealing with problems between admin and teachers confronting individuals face-to-face, there is only so much that can be done. I know of many teachers and administrators who do this on a daily basis- and it works.

However there are also instances of where administrators seem to make decisions about employment based on vindictive, arbitrary reasons. There are teachers who have been victimized by what I believe is a small number of administrators. There is no recourse as a teacher. There is no tenure protection. And there are few mediums through which these administrators can be held accountable- with a possible exception of this site.

A teacher can get fired by an administrator. Its not often its the other way around.

Good administrators- and most of them are, are not mentioned on this forum. That's unfortunate- although the Director review section of ISR is a big help if one pays and looks there.