Search Associates confidential references

WonderingWhat

Search Associates confidential references

Post by WonderingWhat »

I have confidential references from administrators and parents of my students. I hear some people are also using teaching colleagues. Any opinions on this?
sid

Post by sid »

It's commonly done, more's the pity.
First thing I check in a reference is who wrote it, and whether they were in a supervisory role. If it's a full admin person who was responsible for supervising the candidate, great. Next best is an admin type who worked with but didn't supervise. If it's an HOD or similar, from the same department/team as the candidate, well, ok, I'll give it a look. If it's a straight on colleague, fellow teacher, I really am not interested. And if someone has too many colleague references, and not enough admin type references, that in itself is a red flag. If a candidate can't get references from the powers that be, it makes the recruiter wonder why.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I would never use colleagues as references. Never. I have references from coordinators, principals, HODs, and a parent or two. I didn't think references from colleagues were even allowed.
WonderingWhat

Post by WonderingWhat »

I definitely thought it was strange when a coworker told me they had confidential references from colleagues. But it's true!
Briz

Post by Briz »

The nice thing about search is that they keep your previous references if you are recruiting again. If someone wants to know me over a period of time, they can read any of the 12 references up there. None are from co-workers, that seems a bit crass and lazy to me.

"Yup, that Briz guy, you should see him down at the pub on trivia night, he will definitely help you win. Give him too much alcohol though and he might never stop telling you what a great mate you are to him... a bit sloppy if you ask me."
WonderingWhat

Post by WonderingWhat »

I don't think it's lazy. It's just kind of bizarre. Maybe one could get one's mother to write a confidential reference too!
I think if a colleague wrote that you were helpful, offering resources, supplies, sharing, ready to take a duty or swap if they were ill, helping them fit into the a new country, culture, school, etc. It could be acceptable in some way. But all that should come from admin who would be probably observing or hearing about such help anyway. And actually, often admin are friends or buddies with teachers too so even their confidential references should be taken with at least a small grain of salt.
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Briz, I don't think that is true. A friend of mine who is currently recruiting was told that Associates at Search actually choose which references actually appear on your profile since it would make no sense to see 20 references. The trick though is that since references are confidential, they do not let you choose (or tell you for that matter) which references are actually active on your profile. So, even though when you log in it says that you have 15 references, recruiters will only see a few that were selected by your associate...

I was considering Search when I heard this and it was enough for me to sign up just to TIE and forget about Search. One thing is the use of confidential references (where you trust the people writing them) and another one is trusting a complete stranger to choose which ones to display as a representation of you...
Briz

Post by Briz »

I think there is a huge difference between TiE and search, HUGE. One thing I would have done before making such a decision (if that was the deciding factor) is writing an email to your assoociate.

Here is what I have been told. (And think #3)

1. Recruiters do not care about 10 year old references. Those may just get deleted.
2. Associates can inform you if there is a reference you might want to delete. They do not always do this, but if asked they might give you a direct enough hint to clue you in.
3. It makes no logical sense for them to limit the amount of references a recruiter can see, and I cannot think of one good reason for them to spend that much time going through and picking references.

As far as anything goes for the recruiting sites. (Again my opinion after using all of the following)

Search, good data base and jump off point for researching a school. Trusted job fairs (although I have only been to Bangkok)

ISS, data base no where near as good as Search, has some features that allow for videos etc. VERY school centered no matter how many times the representative tells you they used to be a teacher. 3 HOS's have told me ISS fairs are better for candidates because they can never get enough applicants to the fair, and so it is easier to see schools you want.

CoIS - looks small, but seems to draw some good schools. I joined as it is free, but am not going to their fair. I would recommend signing up. It does require 3 confidential references.

TIE and joyjobs, mainly repeat what is on websites and SA and ISS. Top schools use it to catch anyone who might not be able to swing going to a fair, smaller schools, or schools who are downsizing tend to use these exclusively. Based on interviews I got in the past from those sites, I opted to not use them this recruiting season.

Recruiters - Carney Sandoe, which is big and respected and many other small time operations. These are good, but CS is on an American timeline and has 80% US jobs. They have gotten me in front of some places I didn't know had jobs internationally.

2 last things,

1.I would take the time to email my search associate to find out about the validity of the using selected references, but I know they don't want to be bothered at this time of year, and I am not concerned enough about it hurting me.
2. I only put my opinions out there as we are looking for the same positions, I teach chemistry also. Search has 60 chemistry positions listed, and will probably have quite a few more added by January.

Good luck!
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

As an administrator, I do not give them as weight.