The value of international experience back home

prince15

The value of international experience back home

Post by prince15 »

Do anybody know the value of the teaching experience were gain internationally compared to back home? For example, if I have been working for 5 years at an American, which uses an American curriculum, will I be at a big disadvantage if I return to Canada later to apply for a teaching job?
Rob

Post by Rob »

I think it depends on the person from the school district office in Canada that interviews you. Sometimes the interviewer will value a teacher who has been teaching international students around the world, especially if that teachers is a geography or social studies teacher. Other interviewers might think that you are not accustomed to the rigors of public school education after teaching in international schools. Again, it depends on the person who interviews you. My own opinion.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

You'll find this blog informative in relation to your question.

Does Teaching Overseas Help or Hurt Your Career?

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... ur-career/
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

It can help or hinder, depending on the person doing the hiring. Help at a more elite or higher functioning school, hinder at a school with lots of IEP students, special needs, rougher area types - there the question would be if you have what it takes to be a successful teacher where there is no selection.