Yokohama International School

buffalofan

Yokohama International School

Post by buffalofan »

Would anyone with recent info on this school care to comment? Good, bad, or ugly, I'm just after some feedback. The most recent review on the paid section of this site is from 2009.
PsyGuy

Review

Post by PsyGuy »

Its a good school, solid tier 1. The only real complaint is you tend to work a lot, and they kind of dance round the extra hours you put in. Given the compensation and location, as well as good resources, many teachers say its worth it. If plenty of personal time is important to you, might not be a good match.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Really bad school...yeah...that's it..really bad...don't even bother applying there...no jobs at all.AT ALL!

Look elsewhere!

Ok, here's the truth. Everybody in Asia wants work there.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

Not me. I would never trade SE Asia Japan.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

I meant 'for Japan'. Sorry about that.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Maybe it would be more accurate to say that "everyone who wants to work in Japan, and doesnt get an offer from ASIJ, wants to work there"?
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

Not if you don't want American Curriculum and want IB.
KellyGuy

Post by KellyGuy »

This school is right near the top of my list of schools to go to next. I'm fine with teaching IB, though I hope to get some training in it first. I took a year of Japanese in college, a long time ago, and when I visited for business a few times, it came back to me fairly quickly. It was Yokohama I visited both times, and I like the city a lot.

I hope they need a physics teacher sometime in the next couple of years...
EastCoast

Re: Yokohama International School

Post by EastCoast »

[quote="buffalofan"]Would anyone with recent info on this school care to comment? Good, bad, or ugly, I'm just after some feedback. The most recent review on the paid section of this site is from 2009.[/quote]

Just spent two years there as a non teaching spouse. A professional school and well organized. I would recommend it so long as you were okay with the rest of all things Japanese / Asian.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Any idea on how competitive it is to get hired there and if they hire via skype? I'm IB trained and experienced but can't attend a fair this year due to time/money constraints.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

They are very competitive, high tier 1 school, and Japan is a highly sought after region.
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

Any recent updates on this school? I am interested in applying for a position there. I have read the paid reviews complaining of the previous admin, have things improved?
turko87

Post by turko87 »

[quote="Smurf"]Any recent updates on this school? I am interested in applying for a position there. I have read the paid reviews complaining of the previous admin, have things improved?[/quote]

The reviews about previous admin are from two headmasters ago. The school is fantastic and Yokohama is a great place to live. If they have a job, go for it (they've already posted and filled some jobs this year, but there may be more coming up in January).