JFK School, Queretaro

Eric

JFK School, Queretaro

Post by Eric »

Does anyone have any recent information about this school in Mexico? I'm looking for any info regarding school reputation, working conditions at the school, the students, housing, safety and life in general in Queretaro.
Thanks very much in advance.
junglegym

Post by junglegym »

Hi Eric,
What section are you looking at?

The school, in general, is regarded very highly in the community. It's more like a private Mexican school, with some international students thrown in. The school offers the IB and is working towards MYP and PYP, but it'll be a few years before that happens. The package isn't great.

Queretaro is an absolutely fantastic place to live! It is the safest state in all of Mexico and most expats feel very safe. There is so much to do - the centro is beautiful and there is always something going on. The housing is good. Most of the teachers are in the same complex, or in a neighboring complex. Housing is in between school and the centro - about 20 minutes drive either way. The teaching staff has been mostly young, new teachers, and like to . on the weekends, or travel. There are great travel opportunities as well within Mexico. Queretaro is a good, central, location to get to other places.

Happy searching!
Last edited by junglegym on Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Don't know about the school but I would love to live in Queretaro! Very pretty, friendly, and a nice size. Has a reputation in Mexico as a safe place to live, but enough going on to keep it interesting.
Eric

Post by Eric »

Thanks very much junglegym for that info. And I agree with you, chilagringa, Queretaro looks like a great place.

junglegym: Ideally I would be interested in the elementary school; however, they don't seem to have any specific openings listed on their website anyway. I was a bit worried about it being more for local students as opposed to a 'true' international school. I've heard wealthy Mexican kids, especially in the higher grades, can be a bit spoilt and unmotivated??
Do you have any ideas as to the class sizes? And lastly, do you need a car there to get around the city itself or is public transport an option?
Thanks again for all the info- much appreciated.
junglegym

Post by junglegym »

Most of the kids are from wealthy families and it is an adjustment from other school systems that are more diverse. Max. class size is 25, and most classes are full. There is a big focus on grades and exams, though, as I said, this is slowly changing. Some teachers love it, some hate it. For the most part, the teaching staff seems pretty content, though most do a year or two and are gone.

It's very easy to get around the city and you definitely don't [i]need[/i] a car. Taxis are very inexpensive by American/Canadian standards. Buses are super cheap but, depending where you are, may not be very convenient. There is a bus that takes teachers to and from school each day, though. To get around the country, flights can be pretty cheap, and the first class buses are awesome.

I hope that's helpful. Let me know if you have more questions! :)
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

-------
Last edited by chemteacher101 on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
schoolcounselor

Post by schoolcounselor »

My fact sheets from UNI fair 2010 says JFK pay range is: $17,000-$21,708 with housing provided and medical/life insurance. No shipping allowance, they have a small percentage of foreign hires. And for those, they hire single teachers with no dependents They state teachers can save 20% of salary.

I have heard it is a lovely place to live and a nice school from a friend who worked there for 10 years (local) but foreign hires don't tend to stay long because of the low pay.

hope this helps
emac

Re: JFK School, Queretaro

Post by emac »

I am very interested in teaching in Querétaro. Someone mentioned they know a local teacher there I would like to establish contact with that teacher to learn more from his or her perspective. I worked at an international school in Mexico and then moved to Querétaro and have been teaching in private schools but not only their packages are extremely low, these schools actually cheat you by registering the local teachers in the social security administration with the minimum wage instead of what they actually pay. You can imagine what this is doing to my retirement. Thank you very much.