IS now or wait out DoDEA?

Bellarex

IS now or wait out DoDEA?

Post by Bellarex »

My wife and I started our teaching careers at a small international school in Korea, followed by two years out of teaching (working at an orphanage in the Philippines) and are now in the states in our 2nd year at a public school. We want to be international again, and it's always been a dream of ours to teach DoDEA.

From what I've heard/read on this forum as well as from friends who teach DoDEA, times are tough and it's going to be even more difficult than normal to get a job there. Our preference would be Korea anyway, but even with that chances are slim that either of us would get positions in DoDEA (let alone both of us). Our desire to be international has us looking at IS schools, and I'm thinking of joining Search to start being proactive and look for a good fit early.

My question is: if it's our goal to be DoDEA eventually, will going IS now hurt our chances of getting a position with DoD later? I've heard they prefer candidates who have recent experience teaching in American schools because it more coincides with their school.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I cannot speak to the DODEA schools but it is getting past the point of being proactive with Search Associates. The time to move is now! Schools are already posting their jobs for the 2014-2015 school year. It will take some time to get your documents/references in order with Search and get your account active. Best of luck!
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

I appreciate the reply. I am in the process of applying and gathering documents, just to have my bases covered. I haven't decided on Search or ISS yet, though from what I'm reading on this forum, I'm leaning toward Search. I realize that it's personal preference, but what case is there for choosing ISS over Search?
wrldtrvlr123

Re: IS now or wait out DoDEA?

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="Bellarex"]My wife and I started our teaching careers at a small international school in Korea, followed by two years out of teaching (working at an orphanage in the Philippines) and are now in the states in our 2nd year at a public school. We want to be international again, and it's always been a dream of ours to teach DoDEA.

From what I've heard/read on this forum as well as from friends who teach DoDEA, times are tough and it's going to be even more difficult than normal to get a job there. Our preference would be Korea anyway, but even with that chances are slim that either of us would get positions in DoDEA (let alone both of us). Our desire to be international has us looking at IS schools, and I'm thinking of joining Search to start being proactive and look for a good fit early.

My question is: if it's our goal to be DoDEA eventually, will going IS now hurt our chances of getting a position with DoD later? I've heard they prefer candidates who have recent experience teaching in American schools because it more coincides with their school.

Thanks in advance for any help![/quote]

I just went from IS to DoDEA so it didn't seem to hurt me any. I think it really comes down to an individual principal's view on int'l teaching, but I would say overall it's going help more than hurt.

In any case, if you wish to teach overseas, you should pursue all options rather than waiting for DoDEA since it can be a tough gig to land.