Getting hired is a numbers game

danny514

Getting hired is a numbers game

Post by danny514 »

Back when the hiring season began, I thought my resume was pretty decent. Qualified teaching with 2 years experience teaching A-Level Mathematics. Granted, it was in a 3rd tier school and no IB experience, but still - Maths teachers are in demand, right?

However, as the weeks rolled by, sending out CV after CV and getting no responses, frustration started mounting. Schools that I thought I was qualified for didn't get back to me. I went to the HK Search fair, and couldn't even get a single interview at a Hk school. That's when I realized that I was still near the bottom of the totem pole - that I was competing with teachers with over a decade more experience than me (and IB to boot). The possibility of ending up unemployed, or teaching in some dusty hellhole in Africa or the Middle East, loomed larger by the day.

And then - I got the email I was waiting for all these months. The job I've accepted is pretty close to a dream. Great location in South East Asia, solid school, decent pay, and the opportunity to teach the IB Diploma Program in both my teaching subjects.

For all those teachers out there sending CV after CV and still waiting, just know that there are still plenty of jobs out there and the right job WILL eventually come around. I sent over 50 CV's and got nothing. Then, the right job came around and landed in my lap. It really is a numbers game.
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

I hope you are right. I came away from Boston with nothing. I have over a decade of experience but my field is not nearly as in demand as math. I am still sending out my cv but it is getting a bit depressing...

Congrats on your landing a great job and thanks for your positive sentiments towards those of us still searching!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

You certified to teach Middle School or High School mathematics?
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

As you discovered, only having two years of teaching A levels is not great experience.

Three years ago I found out that having five years of AP Calculus and Physics experience is not as strong as you would think, especially if you want to get into an IB school. The only schools which care about AP are the American schools and the crap Chinese schools. It is all about having IB experience.

This time, with five years AP Calculus and three years DP and MYP Mathematics (including HL) it was extremely easy to get a job before Christmas.
Last edited by pgrass on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

@Danny514 - congratulations! It is amazing how things work out, isn't it?

While it is tough to break in without that requisite IB, if you have the foundation of what a school is looking for, job offers will come from solid schools.

Others, don't give up - keep searching, and understand that it might not happen this year for your dream school. As we advise our students on college apps - you go for your 'reach' schools - the schools where your SAT score is a little low, where your extra-curricular, volunteer stuff might not be as good, but you apply. You apply for your 'solid' schools, right within your SAT range, and a fit for your volunteer/CAS hours. Then you apply for your "safety" schools, the ones where you know you will likely be accepted. Applying for jobs is like that :-)
danny514

Post by danny514 »

CaliPro - My certification is for Grades 7-12, but I currently only have experience teaching A Levels. My next job will likely involve Key Stage 3, IGCSE, and IB Mathematics.

Pgrass - That's great to know. I plan on staying with my new school for at least 3 years, getting a few years of solid IB experience. In your opinion, was teaching HL Mathematics (as opposed to only SL) a key factor in making you more competitive? What about MYP versus IGCSE?

Hmmmmm - Keep sending out those CV's! As spring approaches, there will be fewer teachers with IB experience on the market - which means that schools may very well be giving your resume a second look.

Shadowjack - I suppose the only difference is that you only go to college once. With international teaching, there is always the opportunity to try again for your dream school, or take a position that takes you one step closer.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Man you have me worried. I will have no experience with my high school mathematics license next hiring season.

I think you would have got more leads and interest if you went to a job fair.

Hopefully Ill be able to land something in the ME with no taxes and the ability to tutor and double my salary.
danny514

Post by danny514 »

CaliPro - No need to be worried. I got hired straight out of school for my current position in China. There is always going to be a shortage of Math teachers at 3rd tier schools, especially in China or the Middle East. Just be aware that your first school may not be an ideal place. If at all possible, try to find a start up school offering the IB diploma program - that will put you in an excellent position to find something better after two years.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

[quote="danny514"]
Pgrass - That's great to know. I plan on staying with my new school for at least 3 years, getting a few years of solid IB experience. In your opinion, was teaching HL Mathematics (as opposed to only SL) a key factor in making you more competitive? What about MYP versus IGCSE?
[/quote]

Many SL teachers cannot teach HL, they do not have the mathematical ability or confidence. Many jobs will state that applicants must have the ability to teach HL. It is definitely quite a big bonus. With regards to MYP vs IGCSE, I think it depends on the school you are applying to.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

How would a school know / determine you dont have the ability to teach HL?

I am self teaching myself high school mathematics right now. Will hopefully have it all down at least to a decent level by the time I take my licensing exams next Dec/Jan.

Seems like a daunting task at the moment as I forgot alot of math from high school and college and pretty much working from the ground up as if I was a student.

Ill get it all sorted though.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

Glad to hear it's working out for somebody. I went to the Boston fair and there were almost no jobs left in middle school math. To be exact, there were 3 that didn't involve IB. I got an interview at an IB and those 3. They hired somebody for 2 of the 4 by the time I got to the interview. I liked the IB, but heard they hired a couple. The other job I don't think we were the best fits for each other. I had a conversation with a head in the elevator the last day that maybe I wasn't casting my net correctly. She said there were way more math teachers than jobs, but computers (what my degree's in), there were 4 candidates for about 20 jobs. Oops. So, I'm redirecting my efforts and hopefully something will come up.[/list]
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Antitravolta,

Each year it is different. One year there might only be 10 music positions. The next year there might be 25. This occurs in all the subjects - some recruiting years are better for teachers due to the number of openings than others.

Always market yourself in all your areas. When I went to Bangkok I hit IT, English, DT, and History/Socials as I am certified in two of them and have loads of practical teaching experience in the other two.

The only thing I would have done differently is tailored my CV and had 3 different ones depending on the job(s) I was targeting at a particular school.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

[quote="CaliPro"]How would a school know / determine you dont have the ability to teach HL?

I am self teaching myself high school mathematics right now. Will hopefully have it all down at least to a decent level by the time I take my licensing exams next Dec/Jan.

Seems like a daunting task at the moment as I forgot alot of math from high school and college and pretty much working from the ground up as if I was a student.

Ill get it all sorted though.[/quote]

If you are self teaching yourself high school maths you will not have the knowledge/ability to teach HL maths. It is much more difficult than whatever you are teaching yourself.

Schools will not know whether you have the ability to teach HL when they interview/hire you. They will know within the first term though as you are stood staring at your whiteboard, wondering how to solve a problem that you cannot solve, with students complaining that you cannot teach the subject.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

[quote="shadowjack"]Antitravolta,

Each year it is different. One year there might only be 10 music positions. The next year there might be 25. This occurs in all the subjects - some recruiting years are better for teachers due to the number of openings than others.

Always market yourself in all your areas. When I went to Bangkok I hit IT, English, DT, and History/Socials as I am certified in two of them and have loads of practical teaching experience in the other two.

The only thing I would have done differently is tailored my CV and had 3 different ones depending on the job(s) I was targeting at a particular school.[/quote]

Thanks Shadowjack. It's been a huge learning process. I've heard "math will save you" for so long that that's where my entire focus went. The funny thing is, I think I'd enjoy teaching computers more so maybe this will all work out better in the end.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

[quote]
If you are self teaching yourself high school maths you will not have the knowledge/ability to teach HL maths. It is much more difficult than whatever you are teaching yourself.

Schools will not know whether you have the ability to teach HL when they interview/hire you. They will know within the first term though as you are stood staring at your whiteboard, wondering how to solve a problem that you cannot solve, with students complaining that you cannot teach the subject.[/quote]

That would be impossible. All problems I would give to the students or that would be in the book I would have solved prior to that class and would be able to explain / show the process of coming to that answer. When developing my lesson plan / curriculum if there is a problem I cant solve I will go to someone that can solve it and get it addressed before class. I could certainly get tripped up if I didnt know in advance what the questions / problems were. But that wont be the case in my classroom.

@Antitravolta

Where / how did you get your mathematics license? (school or ACP) I am thinking about throwing a Computer Science license on my resume as well.