IB, etc at elementary level?

escapeartist

IB, etc at elementary level?

Post by escapeartist »

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought IB was a program for upper grades only. A couple of the postings for elementary positions, including SPED, list IB experience as a qualification

Can someone point me to a resource for what IB looks like at an elementary level or for SPED?

I guess my goal should be to get a position at an IB school and hopefully gain experience in it, then? I didn't really consider this until the recent post from @livefree.

Thanks in advance.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

IB won't necessarily be taught for SPED, although there is differentiation in the IB program.

PYP - Primary Years Program

MYP - Middle Years Program

DP - Diploma Program

I have worked and tutored IB at a school which offered IB DP only.

PYP experts?
seashell

Post by seashell »

Page 34-36 would give you a basic start

http://www.elserenoms.org/ourpages/auto ... cation.pdf
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Ib is a full program offered from 1st-12th grade. The IBs elementary program is called PYP, Primary Years Program. It covers grades 1-5.

PYP uses a trans-disciplinary approach approach to inquiry based learning. If youve ever heard of reading across the curiculum or writing across the curiculum, well this would be the curiculum across the curiculum. In PYP teachers teach "modules" (smaller chapters) as part of a larger "theme" (larger unit). All the lessons though are interconnected.

SPED in a PYP program looks just like any SPED program. In resource (pull out) and inclusion (push in) your using different delivery and modified instructional units to deliver the same content (modules and themes). In most schools full time SPED teachers do mainly resource, with a group of substitutes, aids and other part time staff focusing on inclusion.