Interview questions at fair

Redvaldo

Interview questions at fair

Post by Redvaldo »

Can anyone tell me some of the questions they got asked by schools at the fairs. haven't interviewed in a few years and never at a fair with international schools. Any help appreciated-
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

This topic has been posted several times before, try searching for it in the forums.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

While it's true that this may be an exhausted topic, searching for the words interview and questions brings up a ridiculously long list. Both words are used frequently, and usually not in a discussion of "interview questions."

That said, here is an old thread that may help:

http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... =interview

Also:
What do you expect from administration?
What will students see when they walk into your classroom?

For fun:
http://internationalschoolsreview.com/v ... =interview

And ISR admin directs to this page for interview tips:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxbRWsYl ... ure=relmfu

UNI gives these examples:
1. What is your greatest strength as a teacher?
2. What is your greatest weakness?
3. What can you tell us about yourself?
4. What is your philosophy of classroom discipline?
5. What steps would you take with a student who is disruptive in your classroom?
6. What kind of classroom management plan do you like best? How would you implement it in your class-room?
7. Why do you want to be a teacher?
8. Why do you want to teach in this school?
9. Why should we hire you for this position?
10. What are your goals in education? Where do you see yourself five years from now? How does this position fit into your career plans?
11. What would we see if we walked into your classroom?

Hope this helps.
Redvaldo

Post by Redvaldo »

thanks for your help...you're right a search isnt as easy as it seems! cheers!
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Mr. BookshelfAmy and I just went through our first round of international school interviews. Some of them were totally focused on teaching philosophy & classroom management, and some were just about getting to know the recruiter to see if it was a good personality match. All of them included a discussion of the country & living situation, eg. "How would you handle teaching with no electricity?".

One thing I will add to escapeartist's wonderful list: be prepared for personal questions, the sort of thing that would be illegal to ask in the States (and, I presume, the UK). Depending on your age & personal situation, you may be asked about health, family situation, etc. One person asked us if we plan to get pregnant soon, and if so, where we would want to give birth. (To which I replied, "Nothing takes me away from my students. NOTHING.")
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

The last interview I had (a couple of years ago and non-international), I printed off about 30 interview questions and then I recorded myself answering them on my laptop. If I screwed any questions up I went back and rerecorded them until I got it right. I guess in total it went on for about 45 minutes. Then I turned it into an MP3 and played it repeatedly in my car until the interview.

Interview went great, but I didn't get the job. I was a bit too honest when they asked me why I wanted to work there. I needed to get a foot on the ladder, but really actually didn't want to live in a shitty little town infested with alcoholism and an hour from the nearest sizeable supermarket. Fortunately, by the time they called to turn me down I'd picked up an international job. It turned out okay.
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="BookshelfAmy"]Mr. BookshelfAmy and I just went through our first round of international school interviews. Some of them were totally focused on teaching philosophy & classroom management, and some were just about getting to know the recruiter to see if it was a good personality match. All of them included a discussion of the country & living situation, eg. "How would you handle teaching with no electricity?".

One thing I will add to escapeartist's wonderful list: be prepared for personal questions, the sort of thing that would be illegal to ask in the States (and, I presume, the UK). Depending on your age & personal situation, you may be asked about health, family situation, etc. One person asked us if we plan to get pregnant soon, and if so, where we would want to give birth. (To which I replied, "Nothing takes me away from my students. NOTHING.")[/quote]
--------------------------------------------

So you're going to turn it into a teaching moment, then. :p
txteach

Post by txteach »

wrldtrvlr123, thanks for the LAUGH!! Hilarious.
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Yep, I'm all about real-world, exploratory learning. 0_o
PsyGuy

LOL

Post by PsyGuy »

HaHa, not as good as Captain underpants, but that was a laugh.

Every mother to be wishes it lasted only a moment
wrldtrvlr123

Re: LOL

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]HaHa, not as good as Captain underpants, but that was a laugh.

Every mother to be wishes it lasted only a moment[/quote]
----------------------------

Yes, well, I'll probably never have another Cap'n Underpants but you have to keep trying.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I have been asked the following in interviews. When I first started interviewing I used to just write the questions down afterwards until I had a list of about 25 different questions I could practice with. These are the ones I remember, along with a few I found online:

What is your teaching philosophy?
Describe your classroom management style.
How would you use technology in the classroom?
What are your strengths?
What are your weaknesses?
Are you an empathetic person? Explain.
Describe a recent conflict you had with a teacher or principal and how you resolved it.
How do you incorporate the IB Learner profile in your classroom?
What will you be doing in 5 years?
What were the past 5 books that you read?
What do you most like/dislike about teaching?
How would you handle a difficult phone call to a parent?
Tell me about a recent lesson you taught.
What does your classroom look like?
Why do you want to teach here?
What does creative curriculum mean to you and what experience do you have of this?
Describe a writing unit that you’ve taught.
What would we see if we walked into your classroom?
How do you teach gifted students?