ESL/ELL positions at international schools

escapeartist

ESL/ELL positions at international schools

Post by escapeartist »

As I perused job vacancies for the upcoming UNI fair, I noticed a fair amount of ESL/ELL positions (which is one of my certifications in addition to Elementary, EC, and SPED) in a diverse range of countries in South America, Asia, and the Middle East.

Does anyone have experience in one of these positions in an IS?
Is it a whole classroom, all subject area setting?
If so, what distinguishes it from a standard Elementary class?
Or is it more like a teacher support role in which the ESL teacher helps the general teacher accommodate English language learners?

Is the pay generally the same as a subject area teacher?

Any help is appreciated.
giovanni

Post by giovanni »

hi! I'm thinking about going to the UNI fair. ELL is my specialty- all my experience is at the high school level. I'm really curious about the answers to your questions too.
wrldtrvlr123

Re: ESL/ELL positions at international schools

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="escapeartist"]As I perused job vacancies for the upcoming UNI fair, I noticed a fair amount of ESL/ELL positions (which is one of my certifications in addition to Elementary, EC, and SPED) in a diverse range of countries in South America, Asia, and the Middle East.

Does anyone have experience in one of these positions in an IS?
Is it a whole classroom, all subject area setting?
If so, what distinguishes it from a standard Elementary class?
Or is it more like a teacher support role in which the ESL teacher helps the general teacher accommodate English language learners?

Is the pay generally the same as a subject area teacher?

Any help is appreciated.[/quote]

---------------------------------
From my experience (which is obviously far from universal), ESL in an IS is going to be much like SPED, it will look different from school to school.

It is likely there would be some whole class teaching, possibly as an elective and some individual/small group instruction either as a push in, or a pull out.

Depending on the school/teachers involved, there could also be some co-teaching or additional support in certain subjects.
DCgirl

Post by DCgirl »

Ditto. Each school will have a different set-up. Make sure you ask about it during the interview.

ESL/ELL teachers get paid the same as any other teacher.

I think that most international schools are looking for experienced ELL/ESL teachers not just the certification. I honestly wouldn't waste a lot of time trying to get interviews for these jobs without the experience. There are plenty of teachers out there who have it. Especially in South America.

Your combination of ESL/SPED certifications may help you along the way if there is a school that is looking for this combination. If you've been a classroom teacher, I think that these certifications are a bonus and could help you get a position.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Thanks for the reposnses.

Also, @giovanni, you may already know this, but in case you don't, registration for the UNI fair ends on the 11th.
Last edited by escapeartist on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Most of those schools are going to be Bilingual or Immersion school programs, meaning they are just ELL programs for academic purposes. Your really just supplementing the academic curriculum. You will get paid more then local teachers, but the pay scale for OSH will be the same.

Your most likely to either have your own class doing ELL resource or co-teaching (two teachers one classroom) or supplementary teaching (students go to two classes in the same subject, one from a native subject teacher, and one western language teacher). You may also be doing some inclusion or tutoring periods. Teachers generally do one or the other.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

@PsyGuy,

Thanks! What's OSH?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Overseas Hire
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

OSH = OverSeas Hire

We should have a lexicon of terminology for the forums, but we dont.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

We teachers do love our acronyms.
MissMe

Post by MissMe »

Although the majority of international schools pay their ESL/ELL teachers on the same scale as the rest of their teaching staff - not all do. Err on the side of caution and do your research.

For many ESL/ELL teachers in international schools at the elementary level, their role often involves co-teaching with a classroom teacher and working in breakout groups within the same classroom. Your teaching partner can have a great impact on how much you enjoy the experience. At best, it can be a rewarding collaboration that works toward meeting the linguistic needs of students. At worst, you can be viewed as a teacher assistant and simply directed to tasks the classroom teachers deems you should be facilitating. Middle School/High School is usually different and courses are often delivered based on a sheltered instruction model.

Good luck in your search!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@MissMe

No they dont. ISs pay their local hires less and differently, but OSH at REAL ISs regardless of teaching area are on the same pay scale and contract benefits.
MissMe

Post by MissMe »

Sorry PsyGuy, I have have to stand my ground on this one. First hand information from an ESL teacher at a "real" international school - Tier 1, in fact - that she is paid a bit more than halfway between what other teachers are paid and what the expat teacher assistants are paid. She is a fully certified teacher with an ESL qualification. The school simply has ESL teachers on a different scale. Same contact hours, perhaps less responsibility?

I'm referring to a British school, not sure if it makes any difference.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Yeah i have to stand on my position as well, I dont doubt what you say, but thats an outlier, assuming it wasnt a municipal school in the UK.