How do I land an international teaching job?!

SSB

How do I land an international teaching job?!

Post by SSB »

I have 3 years of classroom experience, over 8 years of teaching experience (tutoring, ESL, student teacher), Master of Arts degree in Teaching, and teaching certificates in both the United States and Canada. So far, I've only been directly applying to schools and going through free recruiting sites. It hasn't been great...

I am wondering whether I need to attend a job fair or join a recruiting site that charges fees (i.e. Search Assoc.). I have had a couple of interview leads but the start date was sooner than I can start (July 2012). I just had an interview today for which I was one of 10 finalists, so it seems promising. I can't help but worry and find the need to move onto next steps.

How does one land such a job? I read on a post that someone acquired job interviews without emailing schools directly OR going to job fairs. How is this possible?

Any advice would be so helpful! Thank you so much in advance.
sid

Post by sid »

Most schools will consider only your 3 years of classroom teaching, which puts you fairly low on their priority lists. At my school, you've just barely crossed the threshold of our requirements. Since we'll be represented at all the major fairs and have access to large numbers of candidates with more experience, we'd be unlikely to seek you out for a Skype interview before the fairs. We tend to do that for candidates who are at the top of our list, whom we know will be courted by many competitive schools.
I suggest you attend a fair. It'll give you access to many schools at once and a chance to promote yourself in person. Right now, if I'm understanding correctly, you're just a CV in a sea of CVs in an inbox, and schools are concentrating on candidates with more experience. You can't stand out that way.
If you can't attend a fair, you might find more luck after the February fairs finish. Schools will have filled many but not all positions, the most competitive candidates will be off the market, and you can apply for open positions with a better chance.
txteach

Post by txteach »

SSB, the only way schools can contact you without you contacting them is if you are registered with a recruiting agency, otherwise they won't know who you are.

I registered with SEARCH and was contacted by a school without approaching them. I don't know how the unpaid sites work, but with SEARCH there are confidential references attached to your profile for schools to see, etc.

This is my 10th year in the classroom, and I teach/have taught AP and PreAP math classes for years, which is what they were looking for. I think for a secondary math teacher it's a completely difference experience. =-/
pacificsurf619

Post by pacificsurf619 »

I think most International Schools do have an early start date for new hires that range from very late July to early August.

If you are unable to take a position in that time frame that might become an issue.
SSB

Post by SSB »

Thank you for all of the replies!

Sid, I think your advice is realistic and helpful. I will apply for a paid recruiting agency and attend a fair.

Which fair tends to lead to more lucrative results: Search or ISS?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Only your 3 years post certification experience count. School dont count ELL or tutoring or coaching. Your a competitive entry level IT. Your looking at 2nd tier and third tier schools mostly in the ME and Asia.

When you register with an agency such as Search or ISS recruiters have similar search tools to identify prime candidates. They will then contact you through the web messaging system.

Search is really your only choice, ISS isnt very likely to accept you, and their database of upper tier schools isnt a good match for you really. Search's database is also larger, which means more exposure.