Are the spring fairs worth it?

inman

Are the spring fairs worth it?

Post by inman »

Hi,

Looking at recruitment fairs for Spring, they say on the Search website that about 30 schools attend the one in Bangkok. The list of schools attending so far has 17, with only 1 or 2 jumping out as being a place you'd really want to go. Has anyone ever attended one of these fairs, and was it worth it?

Would it be fair to assume that at this time schools will be desperate, and that I shouldn't hope to see any of the better schools around? Would that also mean that anyone with any decent international school or IB experience will be in high demand? I'd appreciate any opinions on this, and posts from anyone who has been to one would be most welcome.

Regards,

Inman
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

The later fairs (I have heard) tend to be the lower tier schools, with a few upper levels (1 and 2) mixed in. I would think a strong candidate with IB experience and international experience would stand out.

Keep in mind that the Tier 1 schools have already built a database of candidates that they would likely go to if the initial candidate withdrew for whatever reason.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Ditto, the spring fairs are just leftovers and lower tier schools that have trouble recruiting. If your a strong candidate your going to standout but your in a sandbox of lower tier schools with a sprinkling of upper tier schools (mostly EU schools that recruit late). Given the cost your better off just applying to the school directly and doing a Skype interview. The top tier and upper tier schools would recruit online for any last minute or emergency position, and they have a database of candidates to choose from. They dont need a fair thats going to be poorly attended by teacher candidates to fill a position. If you really want to see desperate go to the Bethesda fair.
elgrappo

Post by elgrappo »

I did Bangkok last year for the spring fair but only because I was local, missed the earlier fairs through stupidity, and it was my first free fair for Search.

I thought the quality of schools was fairly 2nd tier, 3rd tier with a few 1st tiers looking for very specific positions.

Having said that, I did get some very interesting offers, although none of which I took. It was excellent interview practice!

Ultimately I used Skype and the Search database (and a mass individual mail-out to around 50 schools across Asia and the ME) to secure 3 solid offers (two 1st tier, 1 2nd tier) after the fair, and I am very happy with my final choice! (school rocks, package rocks, and family are happy).
alecsmario

Post by alecsmario »

elgrappo - where are you now, if i don't ask too much?
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

I did the Bangkok spring fair 2 years ago, and I, like elgrappo, was a local at the time and I figured 50 bucks was worth it. I only had IB training at the time, no IB experience, but many schools were still willing to interview me. I had 4 interviews and 1 offer which I turned down. Mostly it's the leftovers fair - lots of 3rd tier schools and a few 2nd tier schools. Maybe 1-2 1st tier schools. It's more relaxed and much less competitive. Maybe 20 schools were there? Maybe 100 candidates. A few of the schools there were bottom of the barrel organizations like Disney English and 1-2 other language schools. One school wanted to interview me for IELTS and I turned it down.

I wouldn't recommend going unless you're desperate or have no job in March.