Good Master's Programs online/overseas

specialed

Good Master's Programs online/overseas

Post by specialed »

Hello,
I would love to get my Master's degree and need some advice. I looked at Endicott College's Madrid program. Anyone got any other ideas? I would prefer something in elementary ed or international education.
Thanks everyone. :D
JISAlum

A good place to start

Post by JISAlum »

There is a DL forum http://www.degreeinfo.com/forums/forumd ... forumid=13 where you might lurk for a while to get some perspective.

I'm finishing up my PhD in Edu Leadership/E-learning at Touro University Int'l. It is an accredited online institution. You might also look at Walden, Capella, Nova and University of Nebraska for online programs. Univ of Nebraska has a well regarded program from a well known B&M institution that specializes in Elem Edu. Check out their website.

You want to find something accredited. A number of overseas vets I know went to Nova. The Univ of California also has some programs online as well. It kind of depends on whether or not you want certification (Type?), as well as specialization. Do you intend on eventually taking it to the US to teach?

Good luck!
specialed

Post by specialed »

I would probably want to use in the states. I am already certified in Texas so I can test out to become certified in other fields.
thanks!
world

Post by world »

I have been researching the same thing, and someone recommended The College of New Jersey to me. Their website is http://www.tcnj.edu/~graduate/global/ and you can take summer courses in a few different locations. i'm still waiting to get more information from them to see if it's the right thing for me, but it might be what you're looking for.

I am looking for a program where you can get a certification and a masters, and to be able to use the cert. in the States eventually (elementary ed, specifically.) A lot of programs I've seen will offer a masters if you already have certification. Anyone have ideas for any good online/overseas programs where you work toward both?

Thanks!
been there

Ph.D online

Post by been there »

This intrigues me. What is the format like of taking a Ph. D online? Do you attend classes? Is there manditory attendence on campus? Tell me more!
interteach

Post by interteach »

Deleted
Last edited by interteach on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JISAlum

Re: Ph.D online

Post by JISAlum »

been there wrote:This intrigues me. What is the format like of taking a Ph. D online? Do you attend classes? Is there manditory attendence on campus? Tell me more!
There are a number of PhD programs with a varying degree of residency requirements. Nova, Capella & TUI are a few. I think Walden offers a number of EDU related programs as well. When I started (3 years ago), I looked into Nova first. They required at least an annual travel to their campus or satellite locations, which was not near me. Capella was the same, although they had more convenient US based locations. The rest of the time you took courses online through a number of mediums (Blackboard, Moodle etc).

TUI is both completely online and accredited. Residency is not required. There is an online mechanism which facilitates classes. You are required to take place in both synchronous and synchronous class activities which require a broadband internet connection.

Classes are typical, with discussion, reading (intensive) as well as assignments. You have access to a number of online libraries (ProQuest, EBSCO to name a few).

I'm ABD, writing the last two chapters of my dissertation now on the impact of social networking tools on student achievement in the K12 classroom.

You have to be very self-directed, and willing to commit a lot of time to class. You get what you put into it, I guess. If you can't create and hold yourself to self-appointed goals, you won't make it. The general failure rate of Phd candidates of all programs is above 50%, I"m told. I'd think it is higher for distance education, IMHO.
Teacher

The Centre for Education in an International Context

Post by Teacher »

The Centre for Education in an International Context at Bath University is affliated to the IBO (their research centre is there) Visiting professors include George Walker (once IBO Director General), Heads from the United World Colleges and professors who have led academics for the IBO in the past. They are part of the IBO Associate Award pilot scheme. If you are interested in the IBO and their programmes this is the one. It's not cheap mind you!
TexianTravel

Post by TexianTravel »

The University of Maryland also has some online degrees, including one in Distance Education. So you can get an online degree in how to get online degrees.