Khazakstan: Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools

bang

Re: Really

Post by bang »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Its my personal rule/philosophy and works for "me". Honestly id explain, but to do so would just cause someone to complain and the post would be removed/vanished.[/quote]

It shows how different perceptions we all have. Truly, the best time I had in my life was just connected to Russia, in particular Tatarstan and all my numerous trips to both Caucasus and -stan. Would not hesitate to move there if I was offered a job. Almaty is a great place to live in and Astana is booming.
PsyGuy

Good point

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats a very wise observation. My point of view isnt the best, and may even be the worst to some people, but what could be more persuasive and relevant to our lives then our own experience. I loved russia by the way, the night life, woman and ice cream are amazing (best ice cream ever, better then any gelato i had in italy).
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

I'm seriously considering NIS for the money offered.
Can anyone comment on that?
How easy is it to save money and repatriate money?

Given free housing, how much of a US$54,000 net can be saved by a frugal person?

It seems like an excellent deal, I just wonder if there is a catch.
PsyGuy

Yes

Post by PsyGuy »

Well the catch is you have to live in Kasakhstan. Its not Moscow, St. Petersburg, Prague or Reykjavik.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Psyguy, I get that. I lived in Afghanistan for one year and I saw positives to it. I'd be happier to spend 2 years in Khazakstan than in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait.

Money though - how much can I save on a US$54,000 net + free housing? And how easy is it to repatriate that money?
PsyGuy

Okay

Post by PsyGuy »

Fair enough, sounds like you know what your getting into.

Id say you can save $54K, Im serious its all going to depend on lifestyle, and expenses. You can blow it all if you want, and save $0. If your frugal, and live off the economy, housing includes utilities as well, and single and basically just work you could save $40K. Add spouse, and kids, eating out, shopping, traveling, living comfortably $10K is reasonable.

Here are some average prices (in USD):

Restaurants:
Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant 10.49 $
Meal for 2, Midrange Restaurant, Three-course 52.42$
Combo Meal at McDonalds or Similar 7.06 $
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught) 2.34 $
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 2.55 $
Cappuccino (regular) 3.98 $
Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle) 0.66 $
Water (0.33 liter bottle) 0.45 $

Markets:
Milk (regular), 1 liter 1.18 $
Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g) 0.49 $
Eggs (12) 1.96 $
Fresh Cheese (1kg) 10.25 $
Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg) 6.00 $
Apples (1kg) 1.70 $
Oranges (1kg) 1.87 $
Potato (1kg) 0.90 $
Lettuce (1 head) 1.00 $
Water (1.5 liter bottle) 0.68 $
Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range) 7.68 $
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle) 0.96 $
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 1.98 $
Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro) 1.32 $

Transportation:
One-way Ticket (local transport) 0.34 $
Monthly Pass 9.09 $
Taxi Start (Normal Tariff) 2.01 $
Taxi 1km (Normal Tariff) 1.15 %
Gasoline (1 liter) 0.78 $

Utilities (Monthly):
Basic (Electricity, Gas, Water, Garbage) 107.65 $
1 min. of Prepaid Mobile Tariff Local 0.18 $
Internet (6 Mbps, Unlimited Data, Cable/ADSL) 32.76$

Sports And Leisure:
Fitness Club, Monthly Fee for 1 Adult 137.37 $
Cinema, International Release, 1 Seat 6.68 $

Clothing And Shoes:
1 Pair of Levis 501 (Or Equivalent) 100.45 $
1 Summer Dress in a Chain Store 68.73 $
1 Pair of Nike Shoes 93.57 $
1 Pair of Men Leather Shoes 239.39 $

Rent Per Month:
Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre 701.81 $
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre 434.54 $
Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre 1,588.16$
Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre 966.59 $

Median Monthly Disposable Salary (After Tax) 536.35 $

Its easy to get it all out, international wires and western union (money gram) are available. The currency isnt very stable thats the biggest problem. Their is a black market that gives better rates for hard currency like USD, but you run the risk of being ripped off. Wires clear in about a week, the settlement date amount will almost always be the lowest daily instead of the average. Western union/Money gram is faster so youll get the rate that day, which will be easier to keep yourself informed of, so youll have a better idea how much youll get. Other then that its not that hard.

At one time when they were still on the Rupie, it was common to change Rupies into HKD, and then change that into USD, but you dont have to do that anymore.
redster

Post by redster »

It's not Denmark either. Glorious mountains to enjoy today and perfect weather for exploring. Steppe is alive with poppies, tulips and what not.

We spend about $200 for 2, a week for groceries and we eat generously. (40 week school year $8000) Or 52 weeks ($10400)
Utilities, cell phone, stuff should not top $200 a month. ($2400)

We bought a car and buy about $70 of gas a month.

Not much Alcohol or clubbing for us.
Other stuff depends on your preferences, you can buy designer clothes but new stores have opened with the mid range Kohls type of quality ($25 Kakhis, cotton blouse $15-30.

So yes, you could save on $54000.

For trips back to the US plan on about $2000. For a flight to Istanbul, Bangkok, Warsaw think $800. Western Europe around $1000.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Well thanks redster and psyguy.

The school sounds very well equiped and Khazak students from all reports are well behaved and motivated. It could be a diamond in the rough.

If they offer the job I'll take it.
redster

Post by redster »

That Rupie thing at the bottom has no baring on reality, not sure where you got that information as the Tenge did not exist until the demise of the Ruble and USSR. Exchange rates are stable and no one uses the black market, if it even exists. Bank transfers are possible.
PsyGuy

Right

Post by PsyGuy »

Right, before they switched currencies and the were on the Rupple, it was common to be changed into HKD then USD. No, its not a stable currency, and there is a small black/grey currency exchange market
IAMBOG

Re: Right

Post by IAMBOG »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Right, before they switched currencies and the were on the Rupple, it was common to be changed into HKD then USD. No, its not a stable currency, and there is a small black/grey currency exchange market[/quote]
So small, in fact, somebody who is living there can't see it / is not aware of it and nobody at his school has bothered to mention it to him.
lifeisnotsobad

Post by lifeisnotsobad »

Ah...that would be Wikipedia for you...not always reliable is it SighGuy? Or perhaps it's another 'source' that can't be revealed...
PsyGuy

Really

Post by PsyGuy »

Really, how often do you have to change currency? It's small, and it's black market, why bother yourself with it, or spend the time looking if you can just use a bank ( which I already wrote about). No it's my own experience, when I was in HK met some military that mentioned it.
Danda

Post by Danda »

I lived in Kazakhstan for two years and could only withdraw money from my school account in dollars. So, I ended up changing dollars into tenge every week and never heard of a black market for currency exchange. I asked tons of locals and expats where the best rates were and they always said one of the various money changers around town. There are money changers all over town, but all of them are legit that I found. Maybe you are thinking about Uzbekistan or Kyrgyzstan where black market money changers offer far better rates and can be found easily.
PsyGuy

Sorry

Post by PsyGuy »

No I meant Kazakhstan, they arent going to point out the grey/black market exchangers to a foreigner, unless you REALLY know them well. Its not a very big side market either was my impression, mainly large currency transactions that wont attract FINCEN. They were just some military contractor types I was having some drinks with while watching a game. The idea was that hard currency was more desirable, so they would get it in HK and then trade it to a group of money changers. Locals had a harder time getting USD, GBP, etc.