Sinarmas

vincentchase

Sinarmas

Post by vincentchase »

Hi, does anyone know the housing allowance for a teacher with dependents at Sinarmas World Academy? I remember looking at a position there a while ago, but the housing allowance seemed inadequate and I didn't fancy dipping into the savings. Just wondering if it has improved since then. Any help is really appreciated.
PsyGuy

Doesn't matter

Post by PsyGuy »

It doesn't really matter. The cost of living is so low, that even though it's gotten a little smaller, it's still plenty to get a three bedroom place. You wouldn't have to dip into your salary to get a very nice place.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

Last I heard it was around US$400 per month. You can't get much in Jakarta for that price nowadays. When was the last time you lived there Psyguy?
PsyGuy

Last

Post by PsyGuy »

They were offering about $7500USD a year towards housing which is pretty good considering the school is outside the city center. The average one bedroom (2011) apartment rent is $345 and the average 3 bedroom rent is $670. A 3 bedroom would come out to $8040 a year, and a 1 bedroom would come out to $4140 a year. I guess youd have to dip a little bit into salary for the 3 bedroom, but what single person needs a 3 bedroom apartment, and a teaching couple pulling in 2 salaries would need to contribute $540 a year from salary. Thats $45 a month. Thats pretty good.
Mr.Cake

Post by Mr.Cake »

You should also find out whether the school pays the housing allowance in advance.

Rent on apartments is generally not paid monthly here in JKT but one or two years in advance, depending on the length of the rental contract.

If not, you will have to pay up front out of your own money only to receive the housing allowance monthly 'in arrears' from the school.

Also in my apartment block, I not only have to pay for the rent a year in advance but also the service charge on a monthly basis, unlike other countries where the owners pay the service charge annually.

Think carefully about coming to JKT unless you get a good package, I don't find the cost of living cheap or good value for money.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

As mentioned Psyguy, I'm a teacher with dependents and so would need a 3 bedroom house. What I'm trying to find out is the housing allowance for a single teacher with dependents.

Thanks for the advice Mr Cake. I've also read inflation has been skyrocketing in Indonesia. It could really dig into the savings initially if schools don't give advanced payment on housing allowances.
PsyGuy

Well

Post by PsyGuy »

Its $7480 per year Sinarmas pays the rent and service costs in advance for the rental term, the school then deducts the amount from your pay on a monthly basis for any amount over the housing allowance.
bulegila

Re: Well

Post by bulegila »

[quote="PsyGuy"]Its $7480 per year Sinarmas pays the rent and service costs in advance for the rental term, the school then deducts the amount from your pay on a monthly basis for any amount over the housing allowance.[/quote]

Sinamas is in BSD so you should be able to get a lot of house for that money. I'm in south Jakarta by Pondok Indah (more expensive area) and I live in a 5 bedroom house which is 60million a year. So if the allowance is what is quoted above you should be fine.
hallier

Re: Last

Post by hallier »

[quote="PsyGuy"] The average one bedroom (2011) apartment rent is $345 and the average 3 bedroom rent is $670. A 3 bedroom would come out to $8040 a year, and a 1 bedroom would come out to $4140 a year.[/quote]

I was in Jakarta a few years ago and paid about $700 a month for a pretty basic 2 bedroom apartment.

No doubt that there are one bed places for $345 in Jakarta, but I'd be worried about the quality of the apartment and the complex - not to mention the location. For instance, many really cheap places are in locations that are prone to flooding.

I am not sure if the OP is just thinking about applying to work there, or actually has an offer to work there. My advice would be to find out from teachers working at the school what the housing situation is like.

The key to surviving Jakarta (IMHO) is to figure out a way to survive the traffic. So it is very important to be able to find a place to live that ensures the quickest possible commute to work.

Just to give one point of comparison. If you worked at Jakarta International School, as a single with dependents, you'd get $17,100 a year.

Now it is not the fairest comparison, as JIS is located near far more expensive real estate than Sinarmas. But $10,000 is a big difference!

However, I'd really try to get some first hand information about the housing situation if I was considering taking a position there.
PsyGuy

Not the only

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats not he only secret. A lot of new comers to Jakarta, tend to think of the city as homogenous (all the same)and its reasonable to understand why, it is after all a small is bald, but there are definite differences in affluence and other demographics. You don't have to go very far before finding big differences in prices and costs.
I can se how the OP would be concerned, because where $400USD would go far in BSD, it would be squat in Pondok.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

My main concern was I've been told houses in Jakarta are almost always rented unfurnished. With a housing allowance that seems only just adequate - I don't really want to have to spend another $3000 from my own pocket to furnish it for what might only be a 2 year stay.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Most folks I worked with found it relatively easy to find furnished places

Again, it is all about making contact with the school. For instance, there may be a teacher who is leaving who is leaving a fully furnished house that is within the allowance.

Another may have a horror story about a particular location. For instance, do you want to be next door to a mosque - and be woken every morning by the call to prayer! In other areas, it may be really hard to get access to Bluebird taxis (a very reputable and safe form of transportation). And, as I said, flooding is a huge issue - both where you live and the roads between your home and the school.

You really do need to talk to some folks who are there.

Also consider a lot of teachers in the next few months will be selling their furniture if they are leaving.

Ask for the email of teachers with families who are leaving this year. See what you can find out from them.

All the best with your decision:) I'm in a similar position to you, so I know how you feel.
hallier

Post by hallier »

Most folks I worked with found it relatively easy to find furnished places

Again, it is all about making contact with the school. For instance, there may be a teacher who is leaving who is leaving a fully furnished house that is within the allowance.

Another may have a horror story about a particular location. For instance, do you want to be next door to a mosque - and be woken every morning by the call to prayer! In other areas, it may be really hard to get access to Bluebird taxis (a very reputable and safe form of transportation). And, as I said, flooding is a huge issue - both where you live and the roads between your home and the school.

You really do need to talk to some folks who are there.

Also consider a lot of teachers in the next few months will be selling their furniture if they are leaving.

Ask for the email of teachers with families who are leaving this year. See what you can find out from them.

All the best with your decision:) I'm in a similar position to you, so I know how you feel.
Last edited by hallier on Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bulegila

Post by bulegila »

[quote="hallier"]Most folks I worked with found it relatively easy to find furnished places

Again, it is all about making contact with the school. For instance, there may be a teacher who is leaving who is leaving a fully furnished house that is within the allowance.[/quote]

I found my furnished house this way. It used to be rented by another teacher from the school. Ask the school to help you find accommodation within your budget most will happily help. You'll probably find the school has an agent they regularly work with.

One thing I always do when looking for a house in Indonesia is do a quick drive around of the nearby area checking for Mosques. I've lived next door to one before and while you get used to it and can block it out if I can avoid being too close I will.