Singapore

rumour5182

Singapore

Post by rumour5182 »

I've just been asked to interview with Stamford American International School. The reviews on this site are pretty mixed, and I'm trying to figure out how seriously to take the negative ones, which are pretty impassioned. Any knowledge about the school as it stands right now?

Also, those of you who have lived in Singapore, what did you love about it? What drove you nuts? Would you go back?

Thanks for your help!
PsyGuy

Best/Worst

Post by PsyGuy »

Id take the interview and find out if they offer you a contract first?

What drove me nuts: How quickly it gets boring. The only thing to do in Singapore is eating/going out, shopping, and going to the beach (Sentosa). Doing anything costs money, and just about everything is imported.

What I liked: Its squeaky clean, everything works efficiently (almost japanese efficiency). People are extremely trusting, and helpful (I left my wallet in a food court, and when i came back a few hours later, a nearby worker had picked it up for me). You get to live the combination of big city island life. The weather is always nice (assuming you like it hot). Everybody looks "nice", dresses well, is well behaved.
seashell

Post by seashell »

A good friend of mine sent her daughter there while waiting for a placement at the Australian school, from my understanding they are owned by the same company and the Aussie school has a good reputation.

I "lived" in Singapore for two years. I didn't consider it much of a life after a while. Shopping mall after shopping mall isn't really my thing. And although Singapore is known for food, I don't know it was mostly never GREAT food. I usually know exactly where I want to eat in any city I'm returning too, I'd have a difficult time thinking of someplace in Singapore.

Things I miss...
1. the 20 meter lap pool right outside my condo.
2. taking taxi's everywhere
3. fresh papaya and watermelon juice

Things that are terrible...
1. being asked how much you are payed or pay for rent by ever taxi uncle.
2. the slave labor of the bangladeshi and filipino foreign workers.
3. the narrow frame of reference that most Singaporeans have--Maylasia, Thailand, Indonesia so dangerous, lah. Just go to Sentosa!
rumour5182

Post by rumour5182 »

Seashell and Rob, thanks for the information on SAIS. The more reading I do about Singapore, the more interested I am in it. I know it doesn't have as much to offer as other cities, but it's right in the heart of SE Asia and would put is in a good place to do lots of travelling on breaks.

Rob, thanks for that bit of information about the salary as well. I've only recently added Asia to my search for an international teaching job, after initially pursuing only Europe, so I'm definitely not looking to save a ton. But, every little bit helps. :)

I saw in an earlier post of yours that you live in a HDB flat -- other than not having the amenities offered by the condos (which, frankly, I don't give a hoot about -- I've never lived anywhere with amenities, and I don't see the point in going overseas and trying to replicate a luxurious Western-style life), are there any other major differences? I'm thinking in terms of management, appliance repair, upkeep, etc. And are they hard to come by? I'm guessing (if this all works out, which is a big if) we'd have to move into temporary housing so we could look at places in person. Is that your thought?

Thanks again for your help!
PsyGuy

Sinagpore

Post by PsyGuy »

HDB flats are government subsidized apartments. They are best described as "OK" my problem with them is that they are huge, I mean really huge, with thousands of units in a building. It can feel like you are living on top of people, and you dont really have privacy (the walls are notoriously thin) Maintenance is better then youd expect for a government building. The buildings dont really have amenities, Their apartments, thats about it. There arent any exercise rooms (and i wouldnt want to use them with SO many people), or other things, and they pretty much come unfurnished. About the only really nice thing is they ahve great access to transportation.

Once you get your Residence permit, you can lease an HDB flat, depending where you want to live, and availability. It can take a week or 2 to move in "somewhere". The most likely delay will be because your records in the system will be "new".
rumour5182

Re: Singapore

Post by rumour5182 »

Thanks for your continued help, Rob. That information makes rentals in Singapore easier to understand. I know there's no sense fretting about it until I have an offer and actually see the package -- I'm just such a planner, and my instinct is to get as much information as possible ahead of time so I'm not scrambling later.

If you don't mind, I'll message you once I'm past the interview if I actually receive an offer to ask some more specific Singapore questions. I'm sure you have tons of good information to share about neighborhoods and culture with all the years you've lived in Singapore. :)

Thanks again!
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

If you're moving to Asia for the first time it's a gentle (very) introduction to Asia. Yeah it can get boring but hey move after two years if you want! SAIS had a rough start but seems to have settled down and the teacher I know there is happy enough. Good luck!