Beijing City International School

dreamgiver

Beijing City International School

Post by dreamgiver »

Does anyone have CURRENT information about Beijing City International School? With the many changes in Directors over their 7 years it's important that your information reflects the current situation. I would be in the elementary school.

Here are my questions:
1. I read that they have a new salary structure that "rewards professional excellence and loyalty". What does this mean? Is salary also based on years of experience? I have 16 years.

2. How good is their health insurance plan and can we see our own doctors when we come back to the US on visits?

3. What is the climate like in the elementary school? Current attitudes towards the director and ES principal and amongst the staff?

4. I'm hearing rumblings about potential political changes that could impact safety and general quality of life. What do you know about this? I am a single female.

5. Anything else I need to know to know if I'd like to work and live there? Anything you can tell me that would give me an advantage in an interview?

Thanks in advance for the advice and information. This forum is so helpful!
gr8teach

Post by gr8teach »

My impression of the school in general is quite good. I believe it is a very fast rising school in Beijing. It is now about seven years old and has undergone the majority of it growing pains. The ES head Julie Lawton has been there, I believe, since the school opened. She is a very friendly and warm person. I have heard nothing but positives from her staff in regard to her as a leader.

The school is very well equipped and nicely positioned in downtown Beijing. However, it does suffer for space when compared to IS Beijing or WAB. I would kind of equate it to Bangkok, how NIST is downtown has a nice campus but can't really be compared to the space and the general superiority of facility of IS Bangkok.

I have heard there are concerns over a new tax for foreigners in China. It would certainly a good question to ask the recruiter.

I'd be wary of hoping they recognize sixteen years experience as many schools have a cap on incoming teachers salary.

Beijing is gray, polluted and cold in winter/ hot in the summer. Its cultural, historical and modern. Travel outside of China, such as international flights can be expensive. However, China has a bountiful list of travel opportunities within its borders.
teacheratlarge

Re: Beijing City International School

Post by teacheratlarge »

Overall, very solid school. Good facilities. Package works out to being very close to WAB and ISB

1. I read that they have a new salary structure that "rewards professional excellence and loyalty". What does this mean? Is salary also based on years of experience? I have 16 years.

The most they will give you credit for is 7 years, which would be around 33k rmb per month (plus 8500 rmb housing) and 10% gratuity at the end of every year.

2. How good is their health insurance plan and can we see our own doctors when we come back to the US on visits?

The health care is great in Beiing, but I do not believe it covers the US (which is not all that unusual).

3. What is the climate like in the elementary school? Current attitudes towards the director and ES principal and amongst the staff?

Reports are mixed: Admin: Runs hot and cold. Hard to know where you stand. Plays favorites (Unless you are in the right group or clique).

Too many meetings, too many initiatives which haven't been fully thought out (which could be said about almost any big school I suppose).

4. I'm hearing rumblings about potential political changes that could impact safety and general quality of life. What do you know about this? I am a single female.

The only rumbling we have heard is about the new expat social insurance tax which could be around 1000 rmb per month. Schools are fighting it and saying we should get most of it back when we leave China (although no mechanism is in place for this yet).

5. Anything else I need to know to know if I'd like to work and live there? Anything you can tell me that would give me an advantage in an interview?

Housing for 1st year (and most teachers) is across the street and is generally good to very good.

You have an advantage if you are from the UK, NZ or Australia or even Canadian.

Have some knowledge of PYP or at least be able to talk about inquiry based learning, collaboration, etc.
Lagringa

Post by Lagringa »

I don't know a lot about BCIS, and anything I did know would be outdated as I left Beijing several years ago. However, I had the impression it was a good school, though like earlier replies have stated, perhaps doesn't have the reputation or facilities of ISB or WAB. One plus to that is that with a downtown campus, you can enjoy the advantages of living downtown without having the long commute to the suburbs in Beijing traffic.
Beijing is a fascinating place to live. There is no end of things to see and do, and the shopping, food and nightlife are outstanding. You can live very well there, though I'm sure prices have gone up since I left. As a single female it is a good place to live because it is so safe and you never worry about being out alone at any time of night. Keep expectations for much of a dating scene low, however. As in most of Asia, most expat men are far more interested in Chinese girls than Western ones.
One major factor to consider is the air quality. It is horrible, awful, oppressive and truly as terrible as you've heard. It's also getting worse rather than better, from what I understand. Most days are "fine," a few days are gloriously beautiful, but some days will be absolutely appalling, to the point where you can't see across the street. Some people have real problems with asthma or itchy eyes or throat, and you won't know how you react to the air until you get there. If you're very athletic and a big runner it will really impede on your ability or even desire to be outside. There were days when even going for a walk did not appeal because of what you'd be breathing in, and you realized that just sitting on your couch in front of your air purifier was better for your health than going out for some exercise. If you think it will bother you, then consider the job carefully because there's no escaping the air you breathe!
That said, I loved every minute of my time in Beijing and still miss it. Living there is an unforgettable experience.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I have traveled extensively through China and know I would love my time in Beijing. But I've gotta admit, the main thing holding me back is the pollution. I realize pollution is an issue at many of the large city schools I've applied to. However I keep hearing how truly terrible Beijing is. I do remember the pollution was bad when I visited. But as a tourist I was so enthralled with everything around me it didn't bother me. Not sure about the day in and day out toll on my health. I do hear conflicting reports by people about how bad the pollution really is and that makes it hard to know what to do. I guess that just reflects that everyone is different and so it will really bother some and not others. Which like you say, I won't know until I get there. So I will do my usual and pray like crazy and ask God to not let me get a job offer there unless it will be a good thing for me.
PsyGuy

Dating

Post by PsyGuy »

I just wanted to comment that when i was in China, only one of our female teachers really dated. All the others constantly proclaimed that expat guys were not interested in dating western woman, and the local men were far too intimidated. In all honesty, I wasnt interested in dating an american woman anywhere I went, and many of the male teachers I worked with werent either. A lot of guys id worked with felt that american/western woman were too much work, or had to high of expectations. The other reality is that a teacher back in the USA making $50 a year isnt really turning heads with his bank book, but in many asian cultures at an international school making the same or even more, is actually able to provide a very nice and attractive lifestyle to a future partner.

I know love isnt about money, but woman are constantly surveyed and report that they are looking for "security and stability" in a spouse (after a sense of humor, or making her laugh).
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="dreamgiver"]Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I have traveled extensively through China and know I would love my time in Beijing. But I've gotta admit, the main thing holding me back is the pollution. I realize pollution is an issue at many of the large city schools I've applied to. However I keep hearing how truly terrible Beijing is. I do remember the pollution was bad when I visited. But as a tourist I was so enthralled with everything around me it didn't bother me. Not sure about the day in and day out toll on my health. I do hear conflicting reports by people about how bad the pollution really is and that makes it hard to know what to do. I guess that just reflects that everyone is different and so it will really bother some and not others. Which like you say, I won't know until I get there. So I will do my usual and pray like crazy and ask God to not let me get a job offer there unless it will be a good thing for me.[/quote]

I've been here for almost 2 years and the pollution doesn't really bother me that much. You get used to seeing grey on those days and try not to think about it that much. Even on a bad day, it's not like you're choking in the street or anything (although it can be psychologically oppressive at times). Then again, the air really does run in cycles, good and bad. Just when we think it's been really bad lately, it will blow out.

Last winter we had 26 beautiful blue sky days in a row and it was amazing. Unless you have respiratory issues, the air in Beijing shouldn't keep you from taking advantage of a great opportunity.
dreamgiver

Post by dreamgiver »

Psyguy - Well, I guess it's a good thing I'm not counting on finding a husband abroad! :)

Wrldtrvlr123 - people say almost the exact same thing about where I live due to the gray overcast days. Some people just can't handle it but it doesn't bother me too much. I don't have respiratory problems. But I don't want to develop them either. I appreciate your perspective. I will move forward with the possibility of living in Beijing and see what happens!
indogal

Post by indogal »

I interviewed with BCIS a couple years ago. I was really impressed. Someone I worked with at my school at the time had worked their for five years and raved about it. I would have taken the job when they offered, but it was (as PsyGuy mentions) in Asia, and I had already spent too long living in Asia & not dating. Accepted a position out of Asia instead, but I still think very highly of the school.